• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lack of Urine

newmum

New Kit
Thomas has been back from the vets for just over two weeks now after his stasis problem. He is eating really well and Poos are fine (although still not in the litter box :roll: . However, I have noticed over the 3/4 days that he isn't weeing as much as he was. There is wee in the box (a little bit) and judging by his water bowl (won't use bottle) he is drinking. It's just that his litter box used to be soaking wet by the end of the day. The vet was giving him extra fluids while he was there so I don't know if this might be something to do with the difference? He seems quite content (just flopped over in front of me) and is very inquisitive(sp?) and eating well. should I be worried?

Afterthought: at one point when he was v ill, he was dripping in urine (at the vets) and when he came home he was quite smelly and yellow underneath (he is mainly white) I did my best to clean him and he doesnt seem to smell anymore (maybe I'm immune) if still a bit yellow.

All advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

If he isn't urinating as much as he was, before the problems you should take him back to the vet. Does he seem to be straining at all? If so there could be a blockage of some kind. You said he came back from the vets just over two weeks ago, so any fluids they would have given him wouldn't still be in his system so would make no difference.

edit, I mean't to say: they would make no difference to the amount he is urinating now.

Last edited:
Was he treated with Panacur during his stasis?

Bloat and excessive urination (which the previous sounds like) are both signs of EC and if he was treated with Panacur then that may have helped with his urinary problems.

Intravenous and SC fluids do cause excessive weeing as the rabbit pees out what it dosnt need.

TBH excessive drinking is more worrying than minimal drinking.

I only had him (less than) 48 hours before i had to rush him to the vet, so I don't know what he was like before - and he is my first so have nothing else to compare him against. Haven't noticed him strain or anything.

He is a dwarf lop and his litter tray is a large cat one, so I did think that the fact it was soaked was a bit excessive? Also thinking about it, I did change from sawdust (just in the tray) to carefresh although I don't suppose that would make adifference? I'm worried about taking him to the vet in case the stasis flares up again!

I wonder if he went into stasis because he had a Urinary Tract infection causing cystitis. The pain from cystitis is enough to stop a Buns guts working.
Leaking very smelly wee and GI stasis sound suspiciously like a UTI to me. The vet may have administered antibiotics which have cleared the UTI and now he is back to weeing 'normally'

Janex

I only had him (less than) 48 hours before i had to rush him to the vet, so I don't know what he was like before - and he is my first so have nothing else to compare him against. Haven't noticed him strain or anything.

He is a dwarf lop and his litter tray is a large cat one, so I did think that the fact it was soaked was a bit excessive? Also thinking about it, I did change from sawdust (just in the tray) to carefresh although I don't suppose that would make adifference? I'm worried about taking him to the vet in case the stasis flares up again!

Carefresh is more absorbent than sawdust so it might appear as though there's less wee?

Thanks everyone, Im just very panicy about him. I really appreciate the advice xxx

I don't know what I'd do without this place!

Back