• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

crates

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
36 inch crate - i would like to add a shelf, its only for one bunny, not sure how to do it at this size. any help, photos would be appreciated xxx

Are you separating them because they were fighting?

I think they will be ok as long as their accommodation is next to each other so they can still see/smell each other.

yeah, marsha was getting really stressed and theres no point having a stressed out bunny. they are about 5 cm away from each other the two crates xxx

I have a shelf in my crate (which is 36 inches, though I don't think that really matters).

I started with a piece of newspaper (or several pieces sellotaped together) that is the same size as the crate (measure it or draw round the tray). You can then cut out the shape you want, bearing in mind that the more contact between the endge of the shape and the bars of the crate the more stable the shelf will be. You can then hold the shape/s in the crate to imagine the shelf and keep cutting (or sticking back!!) until you have a shape that will give the buns a fair amount of space, allow them to hop up and down easily and allow you to clean the crate without removing the shelf. Personally, I don't have a ramp as the buns don't use it, they just hop.

I clean my crate through the door on the long side, so I wasn't bothered about the shelf cutting across the door in the short side. My shelf is the width of the short side, then comes as far as the door on one long side and about 3/4 of the way down the other side, with a curvy shape going across the middle of the crate. This gives enough space to hop up and down in the crate.

I then cut out the shape in 18mm plywood. 18mm is quite thick and so it rigid enough for big bunny bums :) I used a jigsaw for this bit, but you could use a hand saw, or if you make a shape that is square, the man at B&Q will cut it for you :D Sand off the edges.

I attached my shelf by cutting rectangular pieces of the plywood which are about 4 or 5 inces long and a width that fits through the bars of the cage. Put the shelf in the crate and mark on where the supports will go so that the shelf is in the corner of the crate (whichever one!) and the supports will poke through a gap in the bars. The more supports you have, the more stable it will be. I have two on each of the shorter sides and three on the longer side.

Take the shelf back out and screw your supports onto the BOTTOM of your shelf, leaving them sticking out from the shelf by about an inch. Drill a hole through each of the over hanging bits.

Put the shelf in the crate with the supports sticking through the bars and onto a cross-ways bar at the right height. Mine is one or two bars lower than the top of the door. I don't mind that it stops me from using the short door to clean out, and the buns can jump to the shelf from inside or outside the crate with the shelf being just ofver half way up the door.

Use cable ties to go through the hole in your supports and round a bar. Everytime I remove and re-attach my shelf, I am astonished by how much stability is added to the shelf by the cable ties. They just mean it can't wobble.

I will try to attch a photo when I have one.

GOOD LUCK :thumb:

Back