• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cat fleas?

loubylou85

Young Bun
Okay - sorry haven't posted for over a year...but after a bit of help.

Long story short - a bit of a family drama last night resulted in us having an unexpected house guest last night without much notice. This person it now transpires has a cat at home with quite a flea problem. I have been out early this morning and purchased a couple of items for them to use at their home, and advised that the cat should be taken straight away to a vet.

My dilemma is that this person spent an evening and night in my house, and so far I have found one 'dead' flea on top of the bed covers in the room that they slept in.

We have 2 house buns who have never needed any sort of flea/lice treatment in the past. I am trying to arrange to get them to the vet this afternoon as a precautionary measure, but I also need to check and 'treat' the house. Most of the sprays and treatments for household carpets, pet bedding and furniture etc that I can see in my nearest good pet supplies shop (not a big chain, but a very good farm/garden/animal supplies place) seem to be very much focussed on keeping cats and dogs away.

I am sure that in the past I have read stuff on the Forum about people NOT recommending certain pest treatments on their rabbits, but can anyone advise of a GOOD treatment for my house which will be safe to use when you have house bunnies? I'm hoovering (or Dyson-ing actually) the house to within an inch of it's life at the moment to make a start!

Any help would be most appreciated!!

LoubyLou85

If you catch the problem early enough you shouldn't need to treat the house (as long as the cat doesn't actually come into your house).

Use Advantage spot-on flea treatment on the rabbits, which is available from your vet.

The fleas won't like living on humans, so shouldn't be breeding on you, your house guest, or your furnishings.

Don't worry :D

Amy

As the house guest has now returned home and no, the cat has definitely not been near my house - hopefully it sounds like we may be okay. I'm still washing everything and hoovering like mad at the moment!

Thanks for the advice, certainly makes me feel a bit less worried.

Thanks

I don't think cat fleas can live on rabbits - if the person bought a couple of fleas into the house (I have done when I've been at a friends house who has fleabags :lol: ) they will die off quickly enough, you shouldn't have a problem - I never have and I saw at least 2 when I last came home from visiting my friends.

Back