• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in the rain - advise

Jennie Wright

Warren Scout
Hi I was told a while ago that it was no problem for rabbits to get wet, ie go out in light rain or get caught in a shower as their coats were waterproof, so been letting mine out and they have been fine. Am looking at pairing mine now as the fighting won't stop and one of the options is a Rex but I just read on the internet that they should not be allowed to get wet at all or they would get a cold. Is this true ? If so, due to our weather, can anyone actually have a Rex other than for a house rabbit? Thanks

Are your rabbits free range or do they use a run?

All my runs are covered with tarpaulin to keep the bunnis dry and out of the wind.

A few people on here have outdoor rexes.

Jennie,

I have alway been of the understanding that whilst a slightly damp coat is acceptable you should never let a bunny's undercoat get wet regardless of breed. I can't say I much enjoy going out in the rain and I should imagine it's not much fun for the rabbit either. Taurpailin is a great idea, alternatively try adding a small house to your run with plenty of bedding which your bunny can hop in and out of at its leisure. Also it is important to note that baby rabbits born late in the year wont of had chance to get their winter coats yet.

Hi, they will be outside in a run but will be covered in rain but the odd bit may get them. The website lead me to believe one drop of rain would be terrible! Maybe over stating it though.....

if your rabbits go out in the rain when they have the choice not to, then don't worry - that's their decision and they probably like it! Mine do :lol:

lol well my peanut is. i HAVE to put him away when it rains bcus he lys on his back...feet upright looking like hes dead, just eltting the rain hammer down on him. my dad run out there a few months ago thinking he was dead, and as he run into the bunny garden peanut sprayed him (this was pre neuter!) and ran off!

all my others like to stay out of the rain, except him

Back