• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Serious chasing this evening

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
the girls are chasing and fur pulling quite bad this evening, going to get them booked for thier spay asap but what can i do in the mean time? there not biting, just fur pulling using thier teeth if you understand? theres no contact. ive checked both for bites, or breaks...
advice is desperatly needed please. i can't split them as theyve been living inside so it would mean one having to go in the shed in the cold. and one stay inside. theres no locking or grunting.
xthankyou x

Make sure you have some places for them to hide - cardboard box with hole cut out, open pet carrier, tunnel that sort of thing so that they can both get away from each other if they want to. Lots of distractions too are good - things to chew, plenty of hay etc.
Is it happening all the time?

What accomodation are they in? Do they have penty of space?

Sorry, edited my post at the same time - do they have much space - what are they living in?
Do they seem OK in between times?

they have plenty of space, they have a dog crate and are free range when we are home... which is atleast 6 hours a day...
xx
they also have an outdoor run xxx

Well, as long as you give them both places to hide in and they aren't hurting each other or becoming really stressed out then I wouldn't worry too much.
If you have an emergency and HAVE to separate them, then the bathroom is usually a good, safe place to put a rabbit - with the toilet seat down!

no they aren't as far as im aware. im going to ring the vets tomorrow, hopefully get em booked in for while me n nick r on holibobs that way wer here to look after em xxx

it is because marsha is trying to dominate lilly and lilly is boss. hopefully it will calm down.
im not sure whether to get both spayed at same time x

If you can I'd get both done at the same time. I had my mother and daughter pair done at the same time and it was quite nice as they comforted each other as they came round and got better together. Plus I hate the worry of speying so if it were me I'd get them fixed together so I didnt have to do it at a later date again! :D x x

If they both want to be dominant then you do have a problem - have they always lived in the house or is it recent, as a change of scene can cause dominance fighting.

My group of 4 unspayed girls generally only chase when I come in with food - it is likely that, as yours live in the house, they are constantly feeling they might be fed because you are around, so they are constantly saying 'oy, me first at the trough!' My girls do leave the odd tuft of fur in the shed too, nothing to do with food - I would guess this is just because there's 4 of them as the middle 2 have a kind of loose hierarchy, whereas the top bunny and the bottom bunny know thier place. If your 2 are maturing now they may just be showing they both want to be top bunny, which is a problem even if they are spayed as it's more down to personality than hormones.

However - do get them spayed same day or you will have to seperate the poorly one and that will be total seperation - they mustn't run around or chase after major surgery like that for about a week or so.

Hey I had to seperate them completely last nite, as lilly keeps going for marsha. Im going to ask nick nicely if he will pop n get another crate today and then ill have to keep them side by side but not too close as lilly keeps trying to get marsha through the bars. im so upset.

there was no blood but it would appear that lilly was just bullying marsha, have i done the right thing?
xxx

Booked in at vets on 21st Nov. They are going to remain seperate until then on the advice of my vet. The crates will be side by side, so thats not a problem but i don't think nick is too happy about them being inside still. I think this is it now until spring x

Ah I had to split my girls too because Jen was really bullying Rhia, they have a few hours supervised playtime together each now. Guess its the fact that your girls arent speyed that they are fighting X

yeah i hink so, thats why there being done soon. they are staying in for winter now so i can monitor them xxx

Back