• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Christmas Pressies for Rescue Centres

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
As you may or may not know it's a bit of a Christmas tradition for Rabbit Rehome and it's supporters to put together Christmas pressy's for rescues. This year I thought we'd be a little different and instead of lots of little bits and bob's we'd go for one slightly bigger special gift for each rescue. Something that would be really useful but usually outside their budget. So things like a scales, an otoscope or a new run.

You may have noticed, some rescues are a bit useless at asking for help ;) :lol: So to start with I need a list of suggestion to prompt rescues with (though of course they can think up their own thing too).

Then we can work on raising some money and arranging delivery from Santa :D

Really good idea, it's probably the more expensive things that are difficult to come by :thumb:

Those large sized indoor cages, I know a few places use them for post-operative care or for sickly buns as they are obviously easier to have indoors and easier to disinfect, but good sized ones are pricey.

Scales you've already mentioned.

Hutches and/or runs I guess.

A handyman/carpenter for the day.

Bulk buy of things like virkon

Rolls of high quality wire mesh, tarpaulin etc

A gazebo

yeah
South Cave would really benefit from havin indoor cages for sickly buns, and probably more runs so that the buns get a change of scenery. Also the essentials that we use without thought everday x

I'd prefer to donate money than send items myself, I know when I sent my box to a recsue last year it cost me a fotune in postage...

Are we going to help just the people that run the rescues on here ? theres so many recsues needing help but we cant help all can we ?

Supplies of stuff like Panacur, Fibreplex, Bio-Lapis, Infacol
Stethescope
Otoscope (with metal specula for checking teeth)
Digital Rectal Thermometers
Snugglesafes
Disposable Syringes
Mozzie Netting for covering hutches and runs
Hutch-huggers
Water Bottle Huggers
Dog Crates

Janex

Hiya,

Yes, my plan would be for people to donate money (cash) and then I'll put that together to purchase the gift for each rescue. So even if people only donate £5, by putting all the money together the rescue will still get a really useful gift.

It will be a range of rescues. Although the ones that use RU are very visible it's sometimes the ones that we don't hear so much from that miss out on support. I'll have a look at who received help last year and then we can look at different ones this year to spread the help around. Of course the more money raised the more rescues that can receive a gift so we'll have to wait and see :)

Thank you for the ideas so far :D

Tam

This is a fab idea. The secret santa is nice for the small things but I can understand that the larger more expensive things must be very hard to come by for them.

Be sure to let us know how to donate, cheque, paypal etc :D

I dont know if this idea is any good but what about using the money to do somethiing like - pay for so many buns to get their myxy jabs or towards neutering. I Know how much this would dent a rescues pocket - so kiind of like a pay vets bill type thing. I think a nice idea would be to get the people in charge of the rescues a small gift from the money too. Its nice to be appreciated and they all do such good work :)

Most things I'd thought of have already been mentioned

So things I would 2nd are scales and octoscopes, tarpaulins for covering hutches and runs.
Supplies of panacur, fibreplex, critical care and avipro are always welcome

Last edited:
I third Octoscopes :D

Maybe stethoscopes too.
Foldaway runs/pens and indoor cages for emergencys or to lend to foster carers.
Sterilising equiptment.
Carriers- Though I have been given plenty of these along with their occupants, not sure about other rescues.
Hutch covering materials.
Vet bed.
Avi=pro, Fiberplex, Panacur, Needles, syringes, alcho-swabs
Grooming equiptment (clippers).

Something Caroline mentioned yesterday which might be particularly useful for 'sanctuary' type rescues or those with lots of long term poorly buns - a nebuliser.

Something Caroline mentioned yesterday which might be particularly useful for 'sanctuary' type rescues or those with lots of long term poorly buns - a nebuliser.

That's a great idea. I've no idea how much they cost, but they are great for piggies too.

Great ideas from everyone:) :)

I also have a 4ft hutch that may be of use to someone. Its only been used as an indoor hutch, although it has felting on the roof. Its completely free - you just need to come and collect it.

Taz

Are the stethoscopes any different to the ones people doctor's use? I was going to do medicine so I have one, its not exactly top of the range but it works and I don't need it so if anyone wants one let me know and I'll send it over.

Sorry, missed this yesterday. I'm just putting a list of rescues together so I can email/give them a call and find out what they want. Then I'll put a page up on RR.

Tam

Back