• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dirty bottom - best way to clean them?

Baby wipes are very good for cleaning dirty bottoms.

Is this a regular problem your bun has?

I bath my bunny's bum in warm water with a bit of jhonsons baby wash in! even vet commented on how nice he smelt wen he went to the vets :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cornflour that you use for thickening sauces is way better than water - just rub it into the dirty fur a pinch at a time and massage it into the dirt with your nails and the dirt will slide off easily :)

My first rabbit had diarrhea everyday, she was sick all her short life and I was used to clean her bottom as she had long hair which I had to cut.

I simply used a glove with warm wather (not hot) and dried it up witha towel to avoid her catching cold...

I hope your rabbit is not sick because he normally cleans it up himself ;)

Baby wipes are good if not too bad. If you need a bit more help than that I used Johnsons small animal shampoo with some warm water and then dipped cotton wool pads, squeeze out tightly and wipe! Simple. Make sure you use a dry pad to dry the area as much as possible even though the pads are only damp.

If you wash your bunnies butt, you have to make sure it's completely dry before putting him/her back outside.

Is this something new for your bun? Have you looked at the diet to find out why he/she is gettng a dirty bum?

hi- i once had to wash one of my rabbit's bum as she had the trots one morning-a morning i was rushing off to work :roll: anyway i gave her a mild shampoo and then spent 10 -15 minutes drying her off with the hair drier on a low setting :) she absolutely loved the attention and sat perfectly while she was blow dried :D on another occassion, the same rabbit fell in to the garden pond while she was having a tussle with her mate and again had to bathe her and get the hair drier out. she really enjoyed the attention and fuss :)

hi all and thanks for your replies. this was an absolute one off which really took me by surprise, i hadn't fed preston anything different but he had a very wet poo and had sat and stood in it and then took it every where he went in the kitchen.

i was probably a bit vague with my question, it wasn't so much what to clean clean his bum with, but how exactly to get to it, he would not let me turn him over in anyway to wash him.

he is a very clean boy and has cleaned it up himself now but it would be good to know for the future should this ever happen again, just how on earth do you all get their bums to clean them?????

also, any ideas why this might have happened out of the blue without any change of diet????

I hold them over the sink. Whichever way up I need. That's not much help but you need to be able to get at all bits of your bunny.

General rule is be firm and confidant when handling bunnies. Keep them supported at all times to stop them wriggling and hurting themselves and avoid turning them on to their backs unless you need to, or unless your bun likes being cradled.

Is there someone close to you that could show you? Is there a local rabbit rescue? They would be more than happy to demonstrate.

Oh - and the cornflower is certainly better than water for most cases.

Last edited:
I sit on the floor and hold mine firmly on his back (like a baby) but he is a very good bunny but I guess there will be some that don't like this.

I sit on the floor and hold mine firmly on his back (like a baby) but he is a very good bunny but I guess there will be some that don't like this.

hi, i tried this but he was very very unhappy about it. i was also very scared about hurting his back when he tried to get away from me.

just hope it doesn't happen again

hi, no, p gets a few science selective biscuits morning and night. we have cut them down so much though cos he is putting on loads of weight :(

I went to the RWF conference today there are a few different theories behind feeding rabbits one person one person was advocating feeding 25g / kg per day. Another was advocating feeding am average 2.5 kg rabbit a maximum of 30g of pellets, 70g hay and 40g of vegetables to maintain a healthy rabbit.

If your rabbit is getting a sticky bottom and is currently on SS which is a good food, I would look to cut the pellets back further to encourage a higher percentage of hay eating which will assist some weight loss. Weigh your rabbit first so that weight loss can be assessed accurately. Weight loss should be very gradual to prevent heptic lipidosis. If your rabbit is overweight they may be unable to reach their caecotrophs.

How old is this rabbit.

Back