• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Christmas Bunnies

Rexy bexy

Mama Doe
Hey,
i've jus had an email from a man who is interested in buying a rabbit for his daughter and asked if i have any litters or any local breeders i know that do, he didnt say it was for christmas for did say wanted one for mid december which concerns me. I dont have any litters as i have stopped breeding due to commitments but have older ones, however i dont sell/rehome during or around Holiday periods e.g chirsmas, easter due to the main fact alot of people treat them jus as presents which can be disposed of once they have got bored ect.
He did say he would rather buy from a breeder than a shop so does show he has put some thought into it.
However I don't really want to advice him to any other breeders either as i feel im passing on the problem and as i dont agree with living creatures to be sold during these periods and i feel i wont be achiving anything.
I dont want to be nasty to him but i cant think of the best way around this i would like to ask him to wait after chistmas cause if she was reali that interested in having a pet then she would mind waiting for the right one, i'm also thinking ov telling him thataroung this time of year especially you will find alot of 'back yard' breeders who are out there to sell, sell,sell not thinking or caring about the wealth fare of the rabbit and if anything happens or you have concerns they will not help out or take any responcibilly for it.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and advice????

becky

Can you mention rescues to him and direct him to one in the area? Even if the child wants a baby I'm sure they will have young ones :D

Get anyone that wants a rabbit to read perhaps the web site Rabbit.org and digest as much information about rabbits and on rabbits as possible.

This will be at least around a 9 year commitment and that they know about homing arrangements... and that a rabbit needs social just like us humans.

:)

Thanx for the replies, i did think about rescues but wasnt sure if they rehome around christmas but i guess they do, i dont reali know any rescues around by me as i tried lookin in the past but im sure SOAD can help me out there. Im sure after christmas the rescues will have loads ov babies :(. I dont mind giving out advice to the man if he needs it but i dont knw anything about him they could be a very suitable home and have had rabbits in the past but im prepared to help him out as much as possilble and give my support and perhaps get him to keep me as a contact incase he does get one and needs help, advice ect

Many rescues WON'T rehome around Christmas, but even if you got him to talk to a good one then they might give him some good advise that would either mean he is happy to wait and get some or perhaps he even thinks twice about it.

Back