• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clicker training a rabbit

kiri

Warren Scout
Hiya,
Im trying to clicker train my bunny maddie having mixed success-has anybody clicker trained a bunny before? I think shes starting to assosiate the clicker with food but how do I move on from that to what I actually want to train her to do-like going into a pet carrier etc.
It's for part of my behaviour and welfare fd so if anyone knows where i could get detailed info on this that'd be ace-lots of rabbit books tell us we can't train rabbits! Crazy
Cheers,
kiri

The point of clicker training is click + desired action = food. Rabbits aren't dogs, they don't do things just to please their master, they do it for the reward. I think you're further ahead in your training than you believe.

As for getting her to go into her carrier, have you tried using a pointer of some sort? I watched a demostration on clicker training and the trainer used a pointing sitck. He would touch the pointer to an object, such as a step stool and click. The bun would jump up on the stool, and be rewarded for it. If he held it slightly off the ground and clicked, the bun would stand on it's hind legs and would be rewarded.

Thanks-the stick method is quite helpful, its basically a moving target I suppose.

As far as I know, the click usually comes after the desired action so I suppose in the case of a target stick being used it would be

Target stick on area+rabbit touches desired area = Click and treat

Thanks, that actually helps me make sense of it in my own head.

Incase anyones interested you can even clicker train certain types of fish! So its not just dogs, personally I think there are better ways of training dogs because they pick up language because they are so domesticated. The clicker just works as another way of saying 'good dog'...I think!

Target stick on area+rabbit touches desired area = Click and treat

Thanks, that actually helps me make sense of it in my own head.

Incase anyones interested you can even clicker train certain types of fish! So its not just dogs, personally I think there are better ways of training dogs because they pick up language because they are so domesticated. The clicker just works as another way of saying 'good dog'...I think!

<click & treat> Good kiri! You're learning! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was in college, I taught my her commands in sign language. It was great to not have to yell across the room when I had guests over because the dog was begging. I could just snap my finger to get her attention, then give her the sign to sit, go to her bed, lay down, and even roll over. Though roll over doesn't go over very gracefully- she does weigh 110lbs. :lol: But it's funny!

I started clicker training my buns and they really love it. I have been put of pracyice recently but I will keep up with it again soon!
I have the karen pryor clicker book for bunnies which tells you all about how to get them into carrier's/ baskets etc

I would advise the iclick clicker which can be clicked using the foot as I used to have real trouble holding the treat and clicking at the correct time (not enough hands!)

I reckon mine would pick-up clicker training quickly - they know that when i whistle it is time to go back in to the shed for their dinner/brekkie.. its so easy putting them away! they just come raising to me :)

Thanks, I feel like we made some progress yesterday-she seems to be enjoying it which is always a bonus. I know what you mean about not having enough havings, I tried a target stick but then you need three hands so the actual clicker seems to have become the target-she's started following it and seems to pay attention to the click.

I have clicker trained my buns :D Did it ages ago and it was so easy :lol: I taught Beau his name in about half an hour :D

I have got Buu and Beau to get in and out of the run when I tell them, jump into their carry basket and jump into my lap :lol:

Use small treats :D I used papya tablets or tiny bits of carrot. Bunnies are smart and it only took about 15 minutes for mine to realise they got a treat when they heard the click :lol:

Back