• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks? U/D he is back from vet OK

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
I have just noticed that Homer has some fur missing off one of his back legs, the skin is not broken. Is this what they call sore hocks? I have never experienced it before. If it is, what causes it?

I am taking him for his dental today anyway so will get my vet to check his feet out.

U/D - Dental went OK, no spurs today but they were "uneven". My vet has said that the loss of fur is due to urine so has given me some "pads" that they use so he does not sit in it. I had told him that a couple of times in the last week we had noticed the bed had been wet. If things do not improve we need to take in urine sample.

Is megazorb just bedding or can it be used to absorb urine in the cat lit tray so he does not sit in it?

Last edited:
I use megazorb in all my bunnies litter trays.I also have a bunny with sore hocks.Is your bunny indoors or out?
Mine is outdoors and her run is concrete which was causing the sore hocks.I have just bought some stable matting to put down on the concrete.It has just arrived today and shall be putting it down at the weekend.Hopefully it should cure the problem:D

Are you sure it's not the little round patch of bare skin they have on their heel?

EDIT: Not sure I saw your update earlier, or if you posted it after me... this clock business is very confusing! :lol:

I hope his feet are ok and the fur grows back well

Last edited:
Vet has advised me to put Sudocrem on (vet said it was a bit like nappy rash really - in laymans terms) and it should do the trick hopefully. If not take him back for urine sample. I have put some Hutch hemp (as could not find megazorb) and that seems to be soaking up anything in the litter tray.

They are outdoor bunnies, they have a wendy house with vetbed in the bed (when Katy does not rip it to shreds) and access to a run which is concrete but then we have put plyboard over so it is a bit warmer and softer on them. However, he mainly sits in his soft bed and we had noticed this had been wet a couple of times during the last week (I think he gets lazy when it is cold!).

Last edited:
Back