• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dreading the next phone call.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I have been called about no less than 13 rabbits in 7 days :cry: with calls coming from SYAR, The RSPCA and Yorkshire Wildlife Rescue.

I have managed to place a breeding pair tonight (probably pregnant female) and I have now reached the stage where, for the first time ever, I will have to turn rabbits away.

Is everyone else having this much trouble or is it restricted to Sheffield :?

I almost feel like turning my phone off so I dont worry about those that I cant help. I may be having a sleepless few nights :( :( :(

Oh Sooz, how awful!:cry: :cry: I don't think I could deal with that on an emotional level.....you must feel terrible! But you are doing SUCH a great job.....just try to concentrate on the huge number of ones that you ARE helping, and have helped in the past. ::HUGE hugs::

I hope the homeless/unwanted bunny problem in your area improves VERY soon.:cry:

:cry: Dumping season has descended yet again :cry: I really admire you Sooz and all the other rescues as times like this must be truly overwhelming
4.gif
. Just remember, you ARE making a difference.

It really is dreadful at the moment :cry:
When RU was down yesterday I had a read of FreeAds and Preloved. There are hundreds of Rabbits that people claim they 'no longer have time to give the attention they deserve' :cry: Mostly that appears to mean 'kids got bored' :roll:

:cry:

Have a read of this Sooz and apply it to Bunnies :

Parable of the Starfish

An old man walking on the beach at dawn noticed a boy picking up a starfish and throwing it into the sea. When asked why, the boy explained that the stranded starfish would die if left to lie in the morning sun. ‘But there are millions of starfish on this beach,’ said the old man. ‘How can your efforts make a difference?’ The boy picked up another starfish and placed it in the waves. ‘It makes a difference to this one,’ he said.

Janex

Parable of the Starfish

An old man walking on the beach at dawn noticed a boy picking up a starfish and throwing it into the sea. When asked why, the boy explained that the stranded starfish would die if left to lie in the morning sun. ‘But there are millions of starfish on this beach,’ said the old man. ‘How can your efforts make a difference?’ The boy picked up another starfish and placed it in the waves. ‘It makes a difference to this one,’ he said.

Janex

How true this is, even if you can rescue one bunny you are helping it have a good life. I admire anyone who can say that they have made a difference to a life. Rescues like Sooz and Jane deserve medals.

My animals have always been "rescued", apart from my Homer :oops: who I bought from a local farm when I went in for food for a bunny who was grieving (Homer looked just like the one we had lost the week before and there was no way I could not bring him home and certainly have no regrets as he is lovely and has a good home!)

Awww that's a horrible situation to be in :( When I rescued all the piggies the breeder gave my number to her friends and I got calls from a woman with 3 rex does that 'had to go this week' - I felt frantic at first, wondering if I could fit them in somehow by magic, but I had to just close my mind to their fate and ring her and say I'm sorry I can't fit them in :(

I have changed my views on rescue recently with the endless and seemingly growing flood of unwanted, often unhealthy rabbits - I can't see any option when people are full to bursting with homeless animals than euthanasia - it's surely kinder than leaving them to be abandoned or used for snake food/dog bait surely? :( I really can't see any other realistic way of helping these poor animals :(

Just wanted to say what a wonderful job all the recue's do. I really pray that one day everyone will realise what special creatives rabbits are.

Sooz we've been turning away for a few weeks if they don't want to put bun on waiting list:cry:
October/November and June are always the worst times of year..
Also had a call today to say a pair that was adopted from us a few weeks back need to be returned due to a relationship break-up..at moment nowhere for them to go..
...we are just taking "urgents"..but the guilt you feel at the ones who's owners say "well I can't wait have to get rid somehow"..then hang up.. is dreadful:cry:

So please..please..please..if you are looking to get another bun or two..resist the fluffly bundles being sold in shops and go to your local rescue first!:D

I think is supposed to be a bad time because the bunny bought at Easter has now become a chore and if not neutered probably a hormonal nightmare.

us too ....we are now full .
have a couple of buns coming in that have been on our waiting list ages then that is it till some more go out .

we now have a pair and single that can nt go anywhere yet for medical reasons and 6 babies who wont be going till after christmas as they wont be old enough to neuter till then ....sadly this slows down rehoming and as a result limits what we can take in .

so tempting to overstretch resourses by taking in the "blackmail" cases ....but trust me , dont do it ....stick to your limit . :(

Its so sad, everyone seems full to bursting, foster homes has to be the way to go, perhaps a call out to anyone on here with space?

It breaks my heart to think of these poor bunnies being cast aside, but you can only take what you can manage. I know how you feel because yesterday I tried to think if i could fit anymore fosters in, for my friends rescue who is now full, but i had to accept i couldn't :cry: :cry: :cry:

I love that starfish analogy, it helps...

Its so sad, everyone seems full to bursting, foster homes has to be the way to go, perhaps a call out to anyone on here with space?

It breaks my heart to think of these poor bunnies being cast aside, but you can only take what you can manage. I know how you feel because yesterday I tried to think if i could fit anymore fosters in, for my friends rescue who is now full, but i had to accept i couldn't :cry: :cry: :cry:

I love that starfish analogy, it helps...

unfortunatly finding new fosterers isnt always the answer .....you have to have funds to cover the extra buns with fosterers:?

I think a call out for foster homes on here is the only way Sooz.... Put a message out and mabybe we can squeeze in some more buns? What you reckon? It worked with me didn't it?!:D

A very kind RU member helped me out last night, just waiting to hear if she got in touch with the owner of the rabbits or not. She is so lovely that she may even be helping with the vets bills despite having a very sick foster bunny already :(

You know who you are and I really appreciate it ;)

Jane that starfish analogy made me cry, I believe we were taught it at primary school. I think I will print it out tonight and put it up in the bunny room.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I have decided to let Phil answer the phone calls and pass them on to me if they are about rehoming or are happy to go on the waiting list.....that way I wont know the individual details unless I can actually help.

Last edited:
Big hugs Sooz, I wish there was an easy answer or solution I could offer you. All I can say is that you have the support of us lot on here and we're thinking of you.x

Both Jane Dexter and myself are full to bursting at the moment as too are all our fosters, there is no room at the inn so to speak, it hasn't helped with the fact that the 17 we rescued 3 weeks ago from Birmingham has now turned in to a possible 42 :shock: :shock: (can't check a couple of the nests as they are too young yet) with all the babies being born and we still have 7 days to go to see if anymore are born, and babies block up all those spaces for 6 months and then we will have all the expense of the neuterings and vaccinations let alone all the vet bills for the poorly ones, this is a bad time and we are having to add people to an ever growing waiting list............nightmare time because it makes us feel so helpless!

Meanwhile the breeders keep breeding and the pet shops and garden centres keep selling and both are lining their pockets very nicely:evil: :censored:

Last edited:
Not sure about whether ARC have a waiting list right now, but the number of bunnies on the website has gone up quite a bit during the last few weeks, so I guess we are full.

Both Jane Dexter and myself are full to bursting at the moment as too are all our fosters...we still have 7 days to go to see if anymore are born, and babies block up all those spaces for 6 months and then we will have all the expense of the neuterings and vaccinations let alone all the vet bills for the poorly ones,

I'm quite a distance from you but I do have a 6ft hutch empty at the moment so could foster a possibly pregnant one if you need - no holidays or anything planned! Long shot I know but pm me if I can help.

Edit - no sooner do I offer than two local bunnies find a need of my hutch so I can't help for now anyway sorry :cry: I am happy to help on future appeals or further down the line with any of these if I have the space available at the time.

Last edited:
Have you tried asking everyone who contacts you were they originally got their rabbits from? It might be you can identify some places that are causing a larger proportion of the problem and target those with education. for example if 1 in 5 rabbits come from one particular pet shop supplying them with RWA leaflets (even if you have to pay) could mean less rabbits (and less costs) in 4-6 months time as the rabbits from them decrease.

As everyone says, you've just got to help the ones you can and make a difference for them :)

Tamsin

Back