• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not very friendly?

Cealiner

New Kit
Hello

Some background:

I adopted Lucy from a rescue about a month ago to come and live with me as a house bunny. She has adapted very well (she was in the rescue for a long time); is perfectly litter trained, doesn't chew, doesn't really dig. However, a) I can't help feeling that she's just tolerating me and b) I wonder if she's really bored.

I never pick her up. I hold her carrot piece or cucumber for her and she will eat it, and come to me to see what I have, but she hops away as soon as I so much as touch her. She never hops up onto the sofa when I'm there (although oddly does when my boyfriend is laying there!). I know it's early days yet but I did hope that she'd be a little more interactive with me (I know that rabbits don't like being picked up so was prepared for that). Having said that, she seems relaxed about me; she just doesn't like to be touched.

I also wonder whether she's bored. The rescue owner tried to bond her with several rabbits before I adopted her but Lucy wasn't having any of it. Perhaps she would be more lively with a companion? But then, I wouldn't have adopted a single rabbit unless it seemed as if she couldn't bond with other rabbits at all...

It sounds like she's just getting used to you. She may not have adapted quite as much as you think and is still feeling a little unsettled, keep what your doing and give her time. I used to think my rabbit would never get tame, she was always such a grumpy little thing. But now as she's gotten older she's total sweetheart, I sit next to her hutch and she lays her head on my lap while I stroke her. She's also started hopping on my lap on her own accord and sits there for a cuddle :D

Have you tried holding a treat whilst she eats it and giving her gentle nose rubs?

Some rabbit also enjoy having their ears tickled, in a gentle pulling motion.

Caspian used to hate being touched as he was an exbreeding rabbit who was never handled or treated as a 'pet' but everynight I get him on the sofa with me and pet him.....he usually ends up snuggled on my chest and will nudge me if I dare to stop stroking him :rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies. Sometimes she tolerates me stroking her when feeding, sometimes not. I suppose I just have to give her more time.

You are doing everything right, and I'm sure your slow and steady approach wll win her round:) Welcome to the forum!:wave:

You are doing all the right things :) My Luuna was exactly the same when I got her. I couldn't touch her, definately couldn't pick her up and she wouldn't come near me. 2 months on I can stroke her head and body, she climbs on me and is much more relaxed. She still hates being picked up though :lol: Just give her some time, keep feeding her by hand while giving her tiny stokes on her nose and let her get used to you. She will come round :) Welcome to the forum :wave:

Hi there,

I adopted Honey from Chloaster a few months ago who is lovely but quite shy and skittish. We don't know what her background was as she was abandoned with several other buns in a box. I suspect that where ever they were she was either not handled or miss handled.

It's taking time but she is gradually learning to trust me. What I have been doing is:

Hand feeding everything except hay. She will now sit on my lap to eat and will tolerate some stroking whilst eating but she still has off days when she wont.

Spend lots of time with her in a relatively enclosed space (me reading or having a cup of tea etc) so that we are together and hopefully she doesn't see me as a threat.

When she is in the sitting room with us & is chilled out on the floor I sometimes go and lie down on the floor nearby so she thinks I'm chilled out too.

Try and get a couple of strokes in every day (i have to stroke her back but noses are often a favourite) but don't chase her round for one if she's not in the mood.

I do pick her up for bun checks etc BUT only briefly and I always give her food after. She's gone from stamping and running off when put down to running to where her treat ball is.

Sounds like you are doing a great job, it just takes time. It's hard because we want them to be friendly and relaxed NOW! But we just need patience.

It took at least two months for Bobbin to tolerate stroking and even now sometimes he won't... they have moods, so don't be put off if you make progress and then they are moody again. Two steps forward one step back ;)

Bobbin will now jump on me, lay down and let me stroke him, give him nose rubs, and the more relaxed they are the more adventurous they become... he's recently been exploring the stairs! Although he's not impressed if he goes too far and I have to remove him! :lol:

Kitten doesn't like being stroked, she'll eat out of my hand but as soon as you put a hand near her she'll run. I've just accepted it, she's happier if I don't stroke her :)

My Bob is a house bunny at the mo, til he gets a wife. He's been with me for around 6 months and he starting jumping on the sofa but not on me, around 4 months ago. I had decided he would never be a snuggle bun but about 3 weeks ago he sat on my chest and licked my face and did a bit of tooth chattering and he's been doing it ever since. Some bunnies take longer to settle down and for their true personalities to shine.... they are definately all different.:D

My Bob is a house bunny at the mo, til he gets a wife. He's been with me for around 6 months and he starting jumping on the sofa but not on me, around 4 months ago. I had decided he would never be a snuggle bun but about 3 weeks ago he sat on my chest and licked my face and did a bit of tooth chattering and he's been doing it ever since. Some bunnies take longer to settle down and for their true personalities to shine.... they are definately all different.:D

Awww that's so sweet! Bobbin has only licked me a couple of times, but one day I hope he will be like your Bob :D

Caspian hasnt 'kissed' me yet :(

He likes to nip instead....but he is still plus nuts and a bit frisky :rolleyes:

I LOVE this Forum! I posted a similar concern a few weeks ago after getting my first house rabbit, Bigwig. It was so comforting to find out that i wasn't being a bad mum ... it's just 'bunny personality'!!!

They are the most bizarre creatures, very sensitive, very moody and extraordinarily loving when they want to be! My boy has now gone from being miserable and alouf, sitting in the corner to now chasing us round the room, stomping when we give attention to the cats instead of him and flopping out to be stroked with front paws out in front and back legs stretched right behind him ... we call them 'bunny pants'!

He's still stroppy from time to time but now we just appreciate the times he's loving and laugh at him when he's being stompy.

Stick with it and be patient, its a great feeling when they do something loving or crazy ... Saturday morning binky session is a great way to start the weekend! :D

Flopsy is now 6 months and have had him since he was 9 weeks. He still doesn't like being picked up but is quite happy to be carried into the house in his unused large cat litter tray. He loves his nose stroking and his back and ears. He will take food very gently from your hand even the smallest pieces and doesn't nip. He has never jumped on my knee or came to me for affection - stroppy man always makes me go to him. He will hop around me and sniff and is slowly coming around but is still very timid. Not sure if lionheads are timid (think I have read they are).

Four months on and he is getting better but its slow progress and in his own time.

At least now he is happy to see me and even follows me around garden.:D

Back