• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! am worried!

fluffsta

New Kit
I have recently put our bunnies out side into their hutch and run and they have suddenly started chasing each other round and round in circles and biting each others tails. i can see clumps of fur in there. They have been together since we got them at about 8 weeks and they are now about four months old so could this be some adolescent behaviour?? do i need to worry about them hurting each other? why are they doing this? is it aggressive or playful?
Carrot (the bigger one) keeps trying to put her head under Brians belly - is this her trying to get dominance? They are both girls by the way. i hope someone can help.:(

they are starting to become hormonal as they becomming adults, getting them spayed will fix this, however u cnt do this for another 2 months,

do they have seperate food bowls? sometimes they can get aggressive if they dont have one each? that cud help until they are spayed x

They can be spayed now if your vet is confident enough, but yes, they are hormonal. My girls are going through the same thing.

The dominance behaviour can also resurface if you change their environment, so when you put them outside they had to re-establish who was boss. Also the hormones are kicking in. As above, speying will help a great deal. Its normal behaviour though, and not an issue unless they actually start trying to hurt each other or either are becoming overly stressed by it. If they are then it might be necessary to separate them until they can be speyed then reintroduce them once they are over the op.

Actually, they are humping each other!! or trying anyway. Is it ok that they are doing this, should i seperate them? this would mean one being shut in the hutch part and the other in the run- is this necessary?

No don't separate them for that - humping is normal!! Its all about asserting dominance. As I say, keep a close eye on them but I wouldn't separate unless they get worse.

there just trying to both be boss basically, as long as they are not hurting each other they r okay. But as lionheadluver said they can b done now depending on your vet, some vets (like mine) base it on size aswell as age so probably worth contacting them to find it.

In the meantime, give them 2 food bowls if you have one etc, and things like so that they dont have to squabbles over stuff. if it gets bad then split them up until they have spaye dbut they should be fine.

also i would recommend getting them spayed the same day. xxxxx

If their not spayed then it's just their hormones kicking in. Don't worry too much, don't seperate them.

Do you have a rabbit savvy vet?

Make sure that when they go for a spey they go together in the same carrier and recover together too.

Seperating them at the vets can cause potential problems when you get them home again.

Back