• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

diarrhoea whats causing it?

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
for the past 2 days Crystals had diarrhoea i havent made any change in her diet she eats SS pellets, hay and grass everyday and this is her strict diet i keep veg as a minimum and dont feed this everyday but 2/3 times a week. ive had to clean her bum and feet 2 days in a row the diarroea seems to be plastered to her bum :? any ideas?

Its also a symptom of Coccidia (this is contagious) which needs veterinary attention.

A rabbit with diahorrea quickly dehydrates and it is often necessary for them to have S/C or intravenous fluids.

just thought id update yous, the vet couldnt find any abnormalties and has told me to put her on a hay only diet again (as she had this same problem a few months back and the hay only diet sorted it out :?) and if shes still having diarrhoea by friday i have to take her back in so far shes having solid poo's so hopefully they stay that way :)

aww hun sending huge vibes 4 crystal i know how special she is to you!hopefully shes just trying 2 worry u!hehe! xxxxx

One of my french lops has diarrhoea after just half a leaf of spring greens. Hope the hay only sorts her out. Might be worth giving her only one type of veg on her veg days and that way you can determine what precisely it is upsetting her. If you have any probiotic, give her some.

poor crystal!

Is she drinking plenty? You could always top her up with some water in a syringe if she isn't getting enough.

Back