• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny died overnight

Hi all

My six month old dwarf lop suddenly got the runs yesterday evening and died overnight - was perfectly healthy, with no diet changes etc. He lived on his own and I've got three other rabbits.

What can cause such a sudden attack of the runs like that? Could I have saved him overnight? I kept him inside and warm with plenty of water.

Oh how awful, I'm so sorry :cry:

I'm afraid I can't shed any light on it unfortunately, I hope you can find out what happened though.

awwww what a horrible shock :( im so sorry for your loss....

if its not too traumatic maybe you could get your vet to do a post mortem, that would take away the questions probably.... altho i dont think id want to try that.. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We buried him this morning - I did think of havng a PM, but couldnt bear to actually go through with it. Feel really bad that he was on his own and wish I'd stayed up with him so at least he would've had someone with him when he went. x

sounds like stasis to me, but i wouldnt know im not an expert or anything. im so sorry 4 your loss, binky free little bunny.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

( and massive hugs to you! x)

It could have been a gut infection or a protozoa known as Coccidia which can cause profuse diahorrea and death.

Do you have any other rabbits?

Thanks for everyone's kind words.

I do have three other bunnies. A bonded pair and a little boy who lives on his own at the moment.

They all seem absolutely fine, but I'm keeping an eye on them - poor alfie was fine one minute and then an hour later he was covered in really smelly runny poo and curled up in his bed very poorly, so it happened so quickly. xx

I would suggest you thoroughly sterilise all equiptment and toys that your other bunny has been in contact with, just as a precaution.

Very sorry to hear such startling news Sophie_Swinn...

If you can give a new home to another rescue rabbit as soon as... See it that your loss has moved aside to give you the chance to share some love with another rabbit that needs it.

Back