• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits eye sight

Denny

Mama Doe
OK this is really bugging me now, can rabbits be long sighted or short sighted or generally have good all round vision?

The reason I ask is because my Marcel de Bun went bounding into the wendy house door again yesterday like a sumo wrestler:? :( It's not been the first time either although it is not a daily occurance, I am lucky so far that he has not gone down with an abscess due the bump. Now the thing is, he is scared of planes and when outside, he dives for cover either in the tunnel or comes to me for security when one flies over, this doesn't happen in the dark hours due to the fact he cannot see them so he can see a far distance:? But then I get the occassions when he has turned into dodgem car and head butted the wendy house door, the fench on two occassions and, when break dancing around the garden has even ran into Eddie bun leaving him stunned:? so I am wondering if he finds close up items hard to focus:?

I have even seen Eddie bun avoid all the snails when they come out but Marcelly just crushes them like he doesn't see them:? He bounds over them like a bull dozer and all you hear is crunch, crunch, crunch as he heads upto the house:?

Anyone got the answer or the same problem?:?

Hi Denny

I read somewhere that rabbits are better at seeing distant things, makes sense I suppose as they want to look out for enemies. They can see virtually all around, except for blind spots at the front and back.

Maybe Marcel needs glasses, bit difficult with those ears though:D

Yes they can be long or short sighted, I have a few short sighted buns and REWs also suffer from short sightedness which is why they scan.

Some rabbit also struggle to focus on an inanimate object....Paige can see her food bowl coming towards her but cannot find it once I put it down. She also struggles to see an object coming at her face on as it appears not to be moving, if you follow.

Your vet can do some sight tests with you to determine if your rabbit has any vision issues.

Thanks Cheesy and Sooz:D

I dont know about glasses cheesy, think I might have to invest in a small crash helmet or resort to covering everything in sponge as a crash barrier:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sooz, what sort of tests do they do to establish eye sight problems and does it mean that it could get progressively worse to you know?

They are not 'labratory tests' but a series of stimuli to test reactions to various situations and movements.

We also had hearing tests done for Paige.

Apart from an examination of the eye to check for cataracts and other abnormalities its hard to tell if it will be progressive.

eyetest.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:wave: Hia Denny!

I've been wondering the same thing about Darcy lately. I was wondering if the older Frenchies get their eyesigt gets more dodgy. They do seem to have their eyes further apart if you know what i mean.

I suggest either a crash helmet or a crash mat on the shed door :D

roflolol:lol: :lol: , well I do have an england cap that was meant for my moms yorkie dog but didn't fit, fits Marcel a treat:lol: :lol: could pad that out I suppose:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually Chloe, a crash mat isn't a bad idea, I could get a slab of sponge and wrap it up in electrical tap to keep it dry and strap it to the wendy house door:D :D :D

Back