• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I start science Recovery yet? U/D Started eating should i worry about Bloat?

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Hi I had Timmy by nethie bun neutered today, hes 2 1/2 yrs old.

The nurse told me when we picked him up that she had seen him eat a tiny bit of hay, brought him home and he understandably is very quiet, managed to get him to have a very small nibble of some cabbage at 8:40pm this evening, but to my knowledge he hasnt touched anything since (I have my video camera on him so I can monitor if hes eating when im not watching)

What I want to know is should I continue to leave him and see if he starts eating OR should I start him on Science recovery? The vet gave me a sachet incse i had any problems with him eating.

The thing is hes a very picky eater at the best of times, cant say he ever really eats if you watch him or fuss over him anyway, he has his bowl of pellets in the late evening, probably 11-12pm he seems to do most of his eating over night but always saves some pellets for breakfast, he only eats small amounts of hay too this is also mainly in the morning.

With this being his normal habits should i just leave him to his usual routine?

Im quite prepared to feed the recovery as Ive fed it to one of mine before what i dont know is what length of time i can safely leave him without him going into stasis??

HELP!!!!!:roll:

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, there doesnt seemto be any sign of any poops since we brought him home............his cage was cleaned out before he came home so i know theres nothing in there!!! Being a nethie though he never seems to do mountains of poops like my other buns do anyway

I have always found nethies to be pooping machines.

This is about the time when I would start to syringe feed any of mine who had been neutered had they not eaten on their own.

This way they wont be empty over night or dehydrate (does he have a bowl of water as oppsoed to a bottle?)

If he hasnt started to eat in the morning or no poops take him back to the vets for more pain relief and a metaclopromide injection.

ok hes eaten another small nibble of cabbage, then about 2 hours later he had a small piece of kale, still no poo but hes very very sleepy would i be ok leaving him till morning to see if he eats anything over night (as this is sually when he eats mostly) i could set an early alarm to check if hes eaten and if not then syringe some recovery???

also Im not sure of the quantity to give him, nurse didnt tell me and i forgot to ask (to be honest i didnt think id need it but took it just in case)
He weighs 1.06kg so how much recovery do i make up with how much water and how many mls do i give him and how often?

Sorry for all the questions, when I gave jessie recoveryi syringe fed her 2-3mls every 3 hours, but cant remember how uch powder to water i used, also Jess is a largish dwarf lop???

Just discovered your post, how is Timmy this morning, hopefully he has left you lots of deposits. Some rabbits can be a little slow after neutering to start eating, most by the morning are eating reasonbly well.

An average sized rabbit (2-2.5kg) needs to be taking a MINIMUM of 50mls a day in liquids.

There is a formula for working it out, I cant remember it but will ask Rob when I next see him.

Ok I decided against starting the recovery last night, I got him to eat about 4 small pieces of spring greens just before i went to bed (at 4am:shock: )

I left some veggies in there overnight to tempt him, only little bits and when i checked this morning, the few pieces of kale had gone, ive just got him to eat a little bit more kale now and ive seen him drink (first time ive seen him drink since he came home last nght)

So hes now eating small amounts on his own, hes drinking, but still no signs of wee or poops.:roll: :roll: should i still be worrying or is it just a waiting game now??

Just gave him about a small handful of kale, walked away for a bit whn i came back half of the kale had gone and there was 1 poo :D

also hubby just emptied his litter tray (we wondered if he didnt like it as we changed the litter yesterday to a different type) and there was 1 biggish wet patch and 1 small wet patch, so 2 wee patchs and 1 poop

Is this a sign that things are starting to move and return to normal??

Thank you Sooz for your replies:D :wave:

No problem :D

Yep Im sure now he has got started he probably munch his way through the enitre contents of his food bowl in the next few hours.

Ok about half hour ago hubby gave him a bit more kale he nearly ripped his and off for it:shock: :lol: :lol: seems very shy of us at the moment though, he has a little log cabin in his cage where he is taking to 'hiding' in he comes out when we are not around but then darts back in again..........

Kale was piled up in the doorway of his house, its all gone now and 2 more poops:D YAY, and 1 huge wee, looks like hes had a very big drink too.

Starting to relax a little now, but still not really eating his pellets or hay:roll:

Just hoping he wont get bloat now by keeping toppin him up with kale.......or am i being silly??

Hes not eating pellets, only thing he will touch at the moment is Kale

usually loves dried apple, but wont touch that.

Is bloat a possible problem if he eats too much Kale even if hes only eating it in small quantites every few hours or so??

Just want to point out hes not usually a big veg eater hence I only tend to feed him veg every few days, not every day as alot of people do with their bunnies.

Just let him have whatever he wants (within reason) and he will start to eat his pellets again soon.

Back