• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday set up dilema!

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
I just wondered what you guys do with your little rabbits when you go on holiday?

I am having a hard time finding a boarding place that takes on rabbits, so I feel thats not going to happen.

If I was going on holiday it would be between spring and summer. My idea was to buy large dog crates and put them in the kitchen. Between both sets of parents they would be fed twice a day and get a little exercise time in the house. Does this set up sound ok?

I have two male rabbits that live outside in separate hutches as they fight.
They dont get handled as they dont like it and its impossible to do anyway. They have runs/enclosures but not attached to hutch so they get put into carriers to take them from hutch to run. Its often very hard getting one of the rabbits out of his hutch. I feel he would be to difficult for our parents to deal with this way and would possibly escape. Also the enclosure is 3 1/2 foot high which would also be difficult for our parents to get in and out. So thats why I thought bringing them in might make things easier on everybody.

:wave: i am having same prob. No boarding places near here. Got a dog crate and have ordered a run from zooplus to attach to it indoors if I go away (ie there won't be anyone to supervise them when free range in the house so can have crate and run while we are away and just get fed by someone).

Im so worried about this.

I ran the idea by mum and she thinks the house would stink if I kept them inside (how dare she :lol: ) but im scared the bunnies will escape if they try to look after them living outside.

I dont want to go on holiday and be worried everyday just as I dont want our parents dreading looiking after them.

May be I should build a fence around the bunny area outside!

Sorry I cant help as we are too far away, but we have pet sat for a lady with 17 house rabbits and 8 house guinea pigs before now and her house didn't smell one bit. We board pets indoors as well as out and as long as you are strict on your hutch/cage hygiene and cleaning etc, removing soiled bedding daily, allow ventilation etc there is no reason why there should be a problem or a smell on a short term basis.

Im quite lucky, we have a little girl opposite who we do a swap with. We clean out and feed hers and she ours. Mum supervises ( as do I) to make sure they care for them properly

I would think that would be your best alternative but would get them used to being inside before you went away.

I have Charlie, a housebunny. We went away for 3 weeks in summer and the stress of it has caused us no end of problems - he obviously got very stressed when we took him to a lady who looks after them whilst owners are away - and has never fully recovered I don't think. I would keep at least one constant for them, either the people (highly unlikely as you will be away) or their surroundings (easier alternative). If they get used to a litter tray, they won't smell at all.

You could have a wrd with Phil on here as she as loads of rabbits and lives in Dumfries, she would probably look after them for you. Sorry I can't help you as I am to far away for you.

Back