• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Antibiotic help

Jolliman

New Kit
Well first of all, hi everyone.

I'll get into proper introductions + pictures later on, but first of all i have a problem. My rabbit Elliott has the "snuffles". I took her to the vet on Saturday and was given some antibiotics to give her called baytrill. The way the vet showed me to administer it seems a little cruel. The only reason i have had second thoughts at all about what the vet showed me was because it was a vet from Pets at Home, who everyone seems to have a rather bad opinion o on here (and rightfully so reading some of the story's)

Anyways, i was told to make her sit on a towel and wrap it round her to she cant kick out and hurt herself or me. Maybe it is just me being soft, it wouldn't be the first time. I'm just wonder what everyone else thinks really, and weather you know of any other ways i could give it too her. She doesn't really like to sit still much. She likes to be stoked occasionally, when she has worn herself out, but generally she is much happier bouncing around and playing

Oh yea, i have be told to give it to her via a syringe, which is the problem really. She doesn't like it when i put in near her mouth.

Thanks in advance for any advice, you help will be much appreciated.

I go to a vets at P@H and they are brilliant. You can try putting the baytril on a piece of Elliott's favourite food, or into some apple, but I did it the way you've been told and you have to take it slowly - and even then they are inclined to spit it out, over you if he can:roll: . Someone - one of the more expert will be along soon to give more help.

Cheers

Ailz

Oh and by the way Hi :wave: and welcome to the forum.

Hello :wave:

Towel wrapping a Bun in order to administer meds is a good idea. The Bun feels secure. If you give the Baytril by syringe, which IMO is best as it insures the full dose is taken, then try dipping the tip of the syringe in some Honey or Jam to disguise the taste/smell. If you insure your Buns eyes are covered by the towel too, so just her nose and mouth are showing, she wont see the syringe approaching so will be less likely to struggle. Administer the syringe horizontally across her mouth, going in from the corner of her mouth. If you administer the syringe pointing straight down her throat she may aspirate the Baytril.
Some people do administer meds in food, such as a piece of Banana or a grape. But I prefer to use the syringe method.
Another way of disguising the taste of Baytril is to mix it with a tiny bit of Blackcurrant Juice

Good Luck :D

Janex

Hello :wave:

Towel wrapping a Bun in order to administer meds is a good idea. The Bun feels secure. If you give the Baytril by syringe, which IMO is best as it insures the full dose is taken, then try dipping the tip of the syringe in some Honey or Jam to disguise the taste/smell. If you insure your Buns eyes are covered by the towel too, so just her nose and mouth are showing, she wont see the syringe approaching so will be less likely to struggle. Administer the syringe horizontally across her mouth, going in from the corner of her mouth. If you administer the syringe pointing straight down her throat she may aspirate the Baytril.
Some people do administer meds in food, such as a piece of Banana or a grape. But I prefer to use the syringe method.
Another way of disguising the taste of Baytril is to mix it with a tiny bit of Blackcurrant Juice

Good Luck :D

Janex

I told you someone who knew what they were talking about would be along soon. You'll not get better advice :)

Charlie takes his Baytrill with a little mashed banana. He eats the whole lot so I know he has his full dose.

i had to wrap my bunny up to give him his meds - he sharp got used to it, and isnt cruel at all it helps with making them feel secure too and stops u getting some nasty nasty scratchs :wave:

There is a gap between the incisors (front teeth) and molars (back teeth) which is perfect for inserting the syringe into. Diluting the Baytril with blackcurrant juice usually makes it more paletable.

Hi there
I'm having to syringe one of my bunnies at the moment. He's pretty good about it, but i mix the baytril with some pure (not from concentrate) pineapple juice, which he really likes.
Welcome to RU by the way:wave:

Thanks alsot for your advice. Elliott really hates the meds! lol. She squirms and tucks her head away in the towel as soon as the syringe goes anywhere near her mouth. Ill will have to try black current juice tomorrow i think.

Baytril is also extremely bitter tasting - in fact its absolutely vile stuff. Just to back up what Jane has already said towel wrapping and dipping the syringe in something sweet is a good idea. I also give my rats and buns a treat straight after so they come to associate something unpleasant with something nice - I also vary the treats.

My rabbit hates being sringe fed medication. Nothing calms her down, wrap her in a towel and she just constantly moves her head around as soon as you touch her mouth. So I put it in food as well.

When I had to give my bunny a course of Baytril, I found the best way for her was in locust beans, she absoluty loves them! I filled up the sringe with the correct dose, then just picked out the beans that where mostly hollow and squirted some in, gave it to her then did another untill she'd had it all. :D

That is really only a good option for small amounts though.

Another method, that I've used for Rowans EC medication, which is mean't to be squirted into her mouth, is first get some cabbage (not a whole leaf) and place some pellets (or any favourite food) on to it and put the medication on that. Rowan first eats the pellets. Then I take the cabbage which has any medication that seeped through the pellets, fold it (if I don't fold it she avoids the bit the medicine is on!) and hand feed her that. She eats it all up :D

What medication are you using for EC? Both Panacur paste and oral liquid are designed to be syringe fed.

Fenbazole, it comes with a little squirting attachment on the bottle, which measures the doseage. Which is impossible to have in Rowans mouth and squirt at the same time as you have to tip it on it's side to get the bottle low enough to get in her mouth, so it doesn't give her the full dose. So long as she gets it all in her mouth I don't think it really matters how. It all end up in the same place ;)

I just wanted to clarify, as the way you phrased your previous post was misleading in that it appeared to say Fenbendazole could not be administered orally, and it may have worried a few users who are treating for EC had they read it. ;)

Back