PDA

View Full Version : If the animal laws could be changed,

SOAD
06-11-2007, 05:05 PM
What kind of punishment do you think a case of cruelty should have and what punishment the un-educated pet owner should have that took advice from a 'not so knowledgable' pet shop?

I was just thinking about it, how would you decide what puishment fits what. :?

SOAD
06-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Perhaps prison for the cruelty, but a a course for ignorance?

Tamsin
06-11-2007, 05:07 PM
How about prison but they get to do an animal care course from their nice quiet cell ;) :lol:

Indiechic
06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't think the person seeking the advice is being ignorant. alot of people will trust the advice given by the retailer due to them buying a pet.
I feel shops who give bad advice should be treat in the same way as a store misselling a product. to me it is the same thing. Obviously an animal is a being, not a product, but it is a product of thier store.

x

sally1974
06-11-2007, 05:09 PM
What kind of punishment do you think a case of cruelty should have and what punishment the un-educated pet owner should have that took advice from a 'not so knowledgable' pet shop?

I was just thinking about it, how would you decide what puishment fits what. :?

Thats a tricky one. I think any kind of cruelty to a animal, intentionally should be a ban for life plus some sort of jail time. Some of the cases you see in the papers and on telly are horrific, I know what I would want to do to them (but I think I would just end up in prison instead). I bet people who get banned are still able to get pets, I mean who would check? Uneducated pet owners should get one chance to put things right, if they dont manage it then they should get a ban as well.
Sallyx

Tamsin
06-11-2007, 05:16 PM
By the time they are prosecuted though they should already have been told how they could improve. If it was serious enough that it skipped over that stage - then it probably also went past just being misinformed and on to not having common sense.

Tam

SOAD
06-11-2007, 05:16 PM
It would be good if there was powers to do to them what they do to the animals, they would think twice then.

Phoebesmummy9
06-11-2007, 05:21 PM
I think its the persons responsibilty to read up on the animal before they buy personally, i think you need to see if its the right kind of animal for you, also many vetinary surgeries are happy to answear questions if you ring up - I know my vets was more than helpful when i was choose Phoebe and Piper! so there is no excuse for ignorance and animals being mistreated. I also think its the PET SHOPS responsibiltity to make sure they are knowledgeable about the animals they sell, and are passing on the correct information and advice to thier coustomers. Its on both parties really and I think anyone who is caught mistreating animals should be given a warning then if they dont clean thier act up, banned from keeping animals all togeather.Ive seen to many mistreated animals, i have 2 rescue cats who were both VERY badly mistreat by thier owners. One kitten we bought came to usriddled with fleas, you could actually see them jumping all over,the vet said it was the worst case of fleas on a kitten he had seen. My other cat will not tolerate walking past people,people with newspapers or loud noise because he was mistreat off his owner. These kind of people shouldnt be allowed animals :censored: Rant over :roll:

racheld69
06-11-2007, 05:52 PM
after hearing stories like that 18 year old who picked up the same cat, took it to the top of the block of flats and threw it off and then went back and got it 4 more times as it tried to drag itself away and did the same I think that people who are capable of such cruelty should be locked up for a very long time and have a lot of counselling. how people can do that is beyond belief though. I sway from thinking they should suffer as the animal did to thinking they need help to realise what they have done. it is a very emotive subject and I feel really upset just thinking about that cat and its pain and fear. Apparently the RSPCA staff had to have counselling as it was so distressing (the owner thought it had be in a car accident until the video footage of what really happened surfaced). And this is only one example from thousands out there that are never discovered.

At the RSPCA we had a couple of teenagers in doing community service as they were part of a gang that had kicked a kitten in the head and broken its jaw and filmed it on their phone. The boy who actually did it wasn't one of the boys but i think it was better for them to come and clear drains at a rescue centre and see disadvantaged animals and the people that care for them and maybe think about the implications of their actions rather than go somewhere completely unrelated.

Thea & Bobbin
06-11-2007, 06:01 PM
I think that if an animal has been neglected past the point of common sense... ie. it's a living creature and therefore obviously needs food and water, then that should be similar to laws regarding neglect of children... you don't feed and care for a child, you don't feed and care for an animal, what's the difference?

However things like hutch size are a different matter because not everyone knows what is adequate size accommodation. That said if a rabbit was put in a 1 foot hutch, that's obvious cruelty.

Thea & Bobbin
06-11-2007, 06:04 PM
after hearing stories like that 18 year old who picked up the same cat, took it to the top of the block of flats and threw it off and then went back and got it 4 more times as it tried to drag itself away and did the same I think that people who are capable of such cruelty should be locked up for a very long time and have a lot of counselling. how people can do that is beyond belief though. I sway from thinking they should suffer as the animal did to thinking they need help to realise what they have done. it is a very emotive subject and I feel really upset just thinking about that cat and its pain and fear. Apparently the RSPCA staff had to have counselling as it was so distressing (the owner thought it had be in a car accident until the video footage of what really happened surfaced). And this is only one example from thousands out there that are never discovered.

At the RSPCA we had a couple of teenagers in doing community service as they were part of a gang that had kicked a kitten in the head and broken its jaw and filmed it on their phone. The boy who actually did it wasn't one of the boys but i think it was better for them to come and clear drains at a rescue centre and see disadvantaged animals and the people that care for them and maybe think about the implications of their actions rather than go somewhere completely unrelated.

Sorry, posted mine before I saw this.... very well said :thumb: I was horrified when I saw that footage... I did something to me, I will never forget it :cry:

cashmincal
06-11-2007, 06:11 PM
What kind of punishment do you think a case of cruelty should have and what punishment the un-educated pet owner should have that took advice from a 'not so knowledgable' pet shop

To be honest in the latter, the un-educated pet owner did not know that the advice given to them was incorrect so took it as fact and thus followed the incorrect advice meaning neglect took place. But they still have no excuse as they could have seeked advice online or from a knowledgeable vet, for example.

At the said petstore the staff should have been educated in the care of rabbits so they where not giving out incorrect information meaning no rabbits would have suffered from their basic and incorrect information.

Julia123
06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
We need animal police. Animals are not given the protection they deserve. Laws are not clear enough. Punishment not severe enough.

I have to admit I could quite happily see the tormentors being put through the same they put the animals through and don't think anything less is fair but thats just not going to happen - so i would use them to test on - instead of testing on animals.

With regard to ill advice, i think this goes back to having to have a licence to breed and sell and then if wrong advice is given the breeder should be responsible and punished accordingly - revoking licence etc.

donnamt
06-11-2007, 07:51 PM
i personally think... what ever cruelty is inflicted on the innocent should be returned twice as bad... ofcourse all the peace loving human rights people would never let that happen.... i dont think any punishment is too harsh.... and as this country stands with human rights :censored: cruelty to animals/children/old will contine to exist and i will continue to avoid the news :evil:

mullethead
06-11-2007, 10:27 PM
How about prison but they get to do an animal care course from their nice quiet cell ;) :lol:

Great:D sounds just right

cashmincal
06-11-2007, 11:02 PM
More thoughts.

But surely the most important factor in this thread is EDUCATION?

janice
06-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I feel shops who give bad advice should be treat in the same way as a store isselling a product. to me it is the same thing. Obviously an animal is a being, not a product, but it is a product of thier store.

x

Totally agree, after all if you are not fully skilled in offering financial advise you shouldnt be selling mortgages or dealing with any money matter. If you make errors in the advise you give you are liable to compensate people for the inadequate advise given. Likewise if you are not fully skilled and knowledgable in all aspects of animal care you should not have anything to do with the selling of that animal, poor advise including inadequate sexing of animals should be considered on a similar scale as the above example.

cherylwares
06-11-2007, 11:31 PM
In my little fantasy world, where a magic genie comes along and grants me lots of wishes, one of them would be for whoever commits crimes against children and animals feels the pain they feel ten times as bad and for ten times as long. That would soon sort them out !!!

Hugbut
06-11-2007, 11:59 PM
I read a story once about a man who accidently hit a cat when he was driving to work, a nearby house had cctv which showed him get out of the car, check the animal was still alive & drive back & forth over it 10 times.His defence? He wanted to put it out of it's misery :censored: A vet who examined the cats body said it could've survived until the last time he ran it over - breaking it's neck.The man got a fine.It's discusting.If people can show such cruelty to a defenceless animal, it makes me wonder what they could do to a human.Hang them all.

Sooz
07-11-2007, 12:31 AM

I wouldn't want anyone capable of doing something like that anywhere near animals ever again. They are not stupid, they know what they are doing is cruel and wrong and thats why they get a kick out of it.

Denny
07-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Realistically, in this world a prison sentence is just not possible for animal crimes due to the system already being over crowded with criminals. Lets face it, a life sentence doesn't even mean life anymore and yet there are plenty of murders etc that should be taken off our streets for the whole of their lives to protect us but the system is just unable to do this anymore:( :(

A fine is just to easy for them and does not show the damage they have done not only to the animal but also to the owner and families of the owner along with the anger, hurt, heartbreak and torment that they go through knowing what their pet endured during such horrid attacks:cry: :cry:

I watched a documentary once about kids who torture and eventually kill animals and it showed that these kids had a high percentage of going on to harm and kill humans. In cases where the animal has been extremely tortured to death I would impose a long community sentence working in a variety of places such as ie: the county morgues seeing post mortems, attending victim support groups to see how the families are affected by a variety of crimes, attending visits to other cruelty cases along side an rspca inspector and in cases where the animal has been killed then that offender should be made to inform the owner themselves so show them the damage they have done. When I say a long community sentence I mean long as in 3 - 5 years of their life putting back into the community of say an hour to two hours per day for that sentence span:D

Last week a guy on our central news had got away with a fine of 1500 I think it was for dumping toxic waste on grounds belonging to charities. It was going to cost the one charity 10,000 poounds to clear it which they just haven't got and it will take years to get it cleared. His sentence was ridiculous to me, if I had been the judge I would of made the basketcase clean it up all by himself, even if it took him 10 years to do I would of made him clear it as well as impose alot hefty fine than what he got:censored:

I also feel that the victims should also have a say in the person who has committed the crimes sentence rather than it be left to one person to judge what is deemed a suitable punishment:roll:

In the case of the animal not being treated properly due to poor advise upon purchase then the owner should be given x amount of time to correct things before the animal is taken away and if it can be proved that they acquired the wrong information from the place of purchase then the owner of the said pet shop or breeder should be made to do an animal management course pacific to the animal that they gave wrong advise about as well but, if this is not the first offence by the said pet shop or breeder (despite doing a course and still dishing the wrong advice) then they should have their pet license revoked so they are unable to sell livestock to the public for a minimum of 5 years :)

In the case of ignorant owner then a education course to see if that rectifies things but if not then the animal be taken away from them and a ban from owning any animal for x amount of years:D

Gingypig
07-11-2007, 09:45 AM
I think laws are too soft and it's too easy to get away with awful crimes. I don't know if these people can be educated, I'm not sure they are capable of understanding basically because they just don't care.

Ship them to an island that doesn't have any animals... and leave them there!

Azraelm
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Prison and torture for those who inflict cruelty :D

Jack's-Jane
07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Prison and torture for those who inflict cruelty :D

:thumb:

Janex

karen354
07-11-2007, 03:12 PM
A neighbour of my sisters starved 4 rabbits and a dog :cry: rspca were called but by that time the 4 buns had been chucked away with the rubbish and the dog buried :cry: .
When the RSPCA did got there the foul mouthed :censored: woman came screaming at the officer, the officer left and nothing was ever done to that woman that starved her animals..

I also know of another woman that moved house and left her dog to die in her house :cry: nothing happened to her either !

If I had my way I think they should plaster the evils scum bags face all over the local papers . I also think prison for people that abuse animals, proper sentences not just 1 week in prison.

I know one thing if I caught someone doing terrible things to animals I wouldn't be able to walk away, I'd kick the living day lights out of them :evil: