• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If the animal laws could be changed,

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
What kind of punishment do you think a case of cruelty should have and what punishment the un-educated pet owner should have that took advice from a 'not so knowledgable' pet shop?

I was just thinking about it, how would you decide what puishment fits what. :?

How about prison but they get to do an animal care course from their nice quiet cell ;) :lol:

I don't think the person seeking the advice is being ignorant. alot of people will trust the advice given by the retailer due to them buying a pet.
I feel shops who give bad advice should be treat in the same way as a store misselling a product. to me it is the same thing. Obviously an animal is a being, not a product, but it is a product of thier store.

x

What kind of punishment do you think a case of cruelty should have and what punishment the un-educated pet owner should have that took advice from a 'not so knowledgable' pet shop?

I was just thinking about it, how would you decide what puishment fits what. :?

Thats a tricky one. I think any kind of cruelty to a animal, intentionally should be a ban for life plus some sort of jail time. Some of the cases you see in the papers and on telly are horrific, I know what I would want to do to them (but I think I would just end up in prison instead). I bet people who get banned are still able to get pets, I mean who would check? Uneducated pet owners should get one chance to put things right, if they dont manage it then they should get a ban as well.
Sallyx

By the time they are prosecuted though they should already have been told how they could improve. If it was serious enough that it skipped over that stage - then it probably also went past just being misinformed and on to not having common sense.

Tam

It would be good if there was powers to do to them what they do to the animals, they would think twice then.

I think its the persons responsibilty to read up on the animal before they buy personally, i think you need to see if its the right kind of animal for you, also many vetinary surgeries are happy to answear questions if you ring up - I know my vets was more than helpful when i was choose Phoebe and Piper! so there is no excuse for ignorance and animals being mistreated. I also think its the PET SHOPS responsibiltity to make sure they are knowledgeable about the animals they sell, and are passing on the correct information and advice to thier coustomers. Its on both parties really and I think anyone who is caught mistreating animals should be given a warning then if they dont clean thier act up, banned from keeping animals all togeather.Ive seen to many mistreated animals, i have 2 rescue cats who were both VERY badly mistreat by thier owners. One kitten we bought came to usriddled with fleas, you could actually see them jumping all over,the vet said it was the worst case of fleas on a kitten he had seen. My other cat will not tolerate walking past people,people with newspapers or loud noise because he was mistreat off his owner. These kind of people shouldnt be allowed animals :censored: Rant over :roll:

after hearing stories like that 18 year old who picked up the same cat, took it to the top of the block of flats and threw it off and then went back and got it 4 more times as it tried to drag itself away and did the same I think that people who are capable of such cruelty should be locked up for a very long time and have a lot of counselling. how people can do that is beyond belief though. I sway from thinking they should suffer as the animal did to thinking they need help to realise what they have done. it is a very emotive subject and I feel really upset just thinking about that cat and its pain and fear. Apparently the RSPCA staff had to have counselling as it was so distressing (the owner thought it had be in a car accident until the video footage of what really happened surfaced). And this is only one example from thousands out there that are never discovered.

At the RSPCA we had a couple of teenagers in doing community service as they were part of a gang that had kicked a kitten in the head and broken its jaw and filmed it on their phone. The boy who actually did it wasn't one of the boys but i think it was better for them to come and clear drains at a rescue centre and see disadvantaged animals and the people that care for them and maybe think about the implications of their actions rather than go somewhere completely unrelated.

I think that if an animal has been neglected past the point of common sense... ie. it's a living creature and therefore obviously needs food and water, then that should be similar to laws regarding neglect of children... you don't feed and care for a child, you don't feed and care for an animal, what's the difference?

However things like hutch size are a different matter because not everyone knows what is adequate size accommodation. That said if a rabbit was put in a 1 foot hutch, that's obvious cruelty.

after hearing stories like that 18 year old who picked up the same cat, took it to the top of the block of flats and threw it off and then went back and got it 4 more times as it tried to drag itself away and did the same I think that people who are capable of such cruelty should be locked up for a very long time and have a lot of counselling. how people can do that is beyond belief though. I sway from thinking they should suffer as the animal did to thinking they need help to realise what they have done. it is a very emotive subject and I feel really upset just thinking about that cat and its pain and fear. Apparently the RSPCA staff had to have counselling as it was so distressing (the owner thought it had be in a car accident until the video footage of what really happened surfaced). And this is only one example from thousands out there that are never discovered.

At the RSPCA we had a couple of teenagers in doing community service as they were part of a gang that had kicked a kitten in the head and broken its jaw and filmed it on their phone. The boy who actually did it wasn't one of the boys but i think it was better for them to come and clear drains at a rescue centre and see disadvantaged animals and the people that care for them and maybe think about the implications of their actions rather than go somewhere completely unrelated.

Sorry, posted mine before I saw this.... very well said :thumb: I was horrified when I saw that footage... I did something to me, I will never forget it :cry:

What kind of punishment do you think a case of cruelty should have and what punishment the un-educated pet owner should have that took advice from a 'not so knowledgable' pet shop

To be honest in the latter, the un-educated pet owner did not know that the advice given to them was incorrect so took it as fact and thus followed the incorrect advice meaning neglect took place. But they still have no excuse as they could have seeked advice online or from a knowledgeable vet, for example.

At the said petstore the staff should have been educated in the care of rabbits so they where not giving out incorrect information meaning no rabbits would have suffered from their basic and incorrect information.

We need animal police. Animals are not given the protection they deserve. Laws are not clear enough. Punishment not severe enough.

I have to admit I could quite happily see the tormentors being put through the same they put the animals through and don't think anything less is fair but thats just not going to happen - so i would use them to test on - instead of testing on animals.

With regard to ill advice, i think this goes back to having to have a licence to breed and sell and then if wrong advice is given the breeder should be responsible and punished accordingly - revoking licence etc.

i personally think... what ever cruelty is inflicted on the innocent should be returned twice as bad... ofcourse all the peace loving human rights people would never let that happen.... i dont think any punishment is too harsh.... and as this country stands with human rights :censored: cruelty to animals/children/old will contine to exist and i will continue to avoid the news :evil:

I feel shops who give bad advice should be treat in the same way as a store isselling a product. to me it is the same thing. Obviously an animal is a being, not a product, but it is a product of thier store.

x

Totally agree, after all if you are not fully skilled in offering financial advise you shouldnt be selling mortgages or dealing with any money matter. If you make errors in the advise you give you are liable to compensate people for the inadequate advise given. Likewise if you are not fully skilled and knowledgable in all aspects of animal care you should not have anything to do with the selling of that animal, poor advise including inadequate sexing of animals should be considered on a similar scale as the above example.

In my little fantasy world, where a magic genie comes along and grants me lots of wishes, one of them would be for whoever commits crimes against children and animals feels the pain they feel ten times as bad and for ten times as long. That would soon sort them out !!!

I read a story once about a man who accidently hit a cat when he was driving to work, a nearby house had cctv which showed him get out of the car, check the animal was still alive & drive back & forth over it 10 times.His defence? He wanted to put it out of it's misery :censored: A vet who examined the cats body said it could've survived until the last time he ran it over - breaking it's neck.The man got a fine.It's discusting.If people can show such cruelty to a defenceless animal, it makes me wonder what they could do to a human.Hang them all.

I wouldn't want anyone capable of doing something like that anywhere near animals ever again. They are not stupid, they know what they are doing is cruel and wrong and thats why they get a kick out of it.

Back