• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Collecting Rabbit On Thursday U/D hes here

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
okay i am collecting a small grey lionhead from colchester essex tonight, owners want him 'gone asap' so while i do not have the funds for his neuter (aparantly hes vaccinated) i am collecting him bcus i am worried where he will go if i dont.

So what i want to know is....what r my options???
i can take him 2 rspca (dont want to do at all), my mums work need a male neutured 4 their bun treacle but as nobody is coughin up the money..they cnt rite now. If they did, i could get him neutured and he could live there.

I could foster him 4 a rescue as i have the space, i just cnt afford his neuter, can anyone else help? thankx

Last edited:
have you got the space to keep him as a house bunny?
I personally would have pointed them to hear, if you can't afford to keep him... i know its not nice, but there is no point in struggling especially as you have enough of your own to contend with x

have you got the space to keep him as a house bunny?
I personally would have pointed them to hear, if you can't afford to keep him... i know its not nice, but there is no point in struggling especially as you have enough of your own to contend with x

i did. their words were 'i cant be bothered with that really'. and 'im sure sum1 will have him4 free so it wont be a problem.'

the pnly rescue in essex tht i kno of is briar patch and i cnt take him tht far

i did. their words were 'i cant be bothered with that really'. and 'im sure sum1 will have him4 free so it wont be a problem.'

the pnly rescue in essex tht i kno of is briar patch and i cnt take him tht far

I 'may' be able to help with transport to briar patch, i drive past it everyday on the way to the train station. I'm on hoilday in two weeks for two weeks, so if couldn't do it before i could do it after, or as and when eve has space. If you choose to let him go there let me know.

Give me a shout if you're stuck, although as a general rule I'd suggest please don't take on buns you can't keep or can't afford to give the things they need, as it does place a burden on already overloaded rescues who may have even higher priorities. I know rescues exist for a reason but's just not fair on rescues to take on a bun and then expect them to pay for it :?

well i can get him and do what i can for him until someone can take him, or i can leave him. her phrase was 'i dont really care' and 'im sure sum1 will take him 4 free' im just trying to help the guy, but if everyone thinks i shouldnt then il just leave him

theres been lots of cases on here when sum1 has collected a free ads bun and then got it to a rescue so he can be found a home but im clearly doign sumthign wrong so il just leave him

Calm down - I've already said I'll help if you're stuck. I think the thing is, you'd already decided you were going to get him, knowing you can't afford to sort him, and then ask if someone else could take on the financial burden - as opposed to highlighting the issue and asking if someone is willing to take that on. Unfortunately rescues are running at full capacity, have limited funds and have to prioritise, so generally I'd say it's better to express an interest so the person knows that you're around, but allow rescues to assess the individual priority and agree to help, rather than it being a foregone conclusion because the bun is already taken. Obviously there may be occasional very urgent circumstances where a rabbit *has* to be taken because of a definite immediate danger of some kind, but just because someone wants to get rid of their bun sadly doesn't necessarily mean that it is definitely going to end up somewhere terrible. It's a sad fact unfortunately that we really can't help everybun in need, and rescues are faced with difficult decisions daily about that very fact :cry:

A couple of years ago there was a spate of freead buns being rescued by people on here, which was putting tremendous pressure on rescues; hence the wise words from Tamsin here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=75462

As I said before - let me know if you want help sorting this one out.

Last edited:
Hi XMissySJx, :wave: I would get him for what its worth.
I know this sounds maybe a bit odd but do you have any bits and pieces you could sell on ebay to raise cash for his neuter? That's what I've done occasionally to raise money for a bunny shed etc. Don't know if that helps :?

But I must admit, once I'd seen the ad and heard his current owners attitude towards him, I would go get.
I find it really hard, once I have knowledge of something, and could do something to help, I feel awful if I then dont. If you see what i mean.

Thats why I steer well clear of looking at anything bunny related on free ad sites etc :oops:

Good luck when you pick him up x

well this is the thing, i neva look bcus i always feel so guilty if i dont. but she called me on the fone bcus id advertised looking 4 a hutch on free ads months ago, and she saw it so called and asked me. and when she mentioned 'she didnt care where he went' i felt like...i HAD to help him...because it felt like fate in a weird way. okay i wont be able to afford to neuter him straight away. but...he doesnt 'have' to be neutured straight away. i can save up and then rehome him from my house, im selling my PSP to pay 4 scampis neuter which is £30 so i will have enough left to pay for this bun too, he is already vaccinated so he doesnt need that. I have a big enough hutch for him too.

sorry i just felt proud i was doing something good, and then i felt like ppl were mad at me bcus of it. sorry im ill aswell and im a bit grouchy!! (understatement of the century, i jus nearly fainted again and dropped my drink all over the floor and jus burst into tears 4 no reason, so honestly i rreeeeally am sorry 4 being a grump!! not usually me!!)

okay what i am going to sell is? my psp with games and stuff, i have 2 garry potter first editions, not the rare ones but hopefully worth somethin (o.o.t.phoenix) and i have a rare sega megadrive game i was going to part with aswell

Well I think you are doing good :D
And you're right, he doesn't need doing straight away. He'll have a secure home with you and no danger of him ending up snake food and he'll be fine to be "snipped" when you can.

I do know what you mean about the "fate" thing. I guess you either believe in that sort of thing or not. But i def felt that with the bunch I picked up from London. Fortunately Caroline at EastbourneRR took a few of them but we still have 5 now that are all fixed and bonded. We got them february this year and we took alot of this year getting them fixed and finally all bonded a couple o months ago.

It took time, and while a credit card was there that we could have used we waited and did one a month or sold stuff on ebay to raise money! (As you say, some first edition books, old PS2 games etc) But meanwhile we loved them to pieces and they were safe from harm with us and saw the vet immediately if there was any need.

I couldn't have left them once I knew about them and have done nothing.

So anyway! Good luck again, cant wait to see piccies of the little chap! :D

Last edited:
thanks, im getting him on thursday, il post piccies of him 4 then, just gotta ad me psp 2 ebay now!!!

I think you're doing the right thing, too. :)

It's not as if you're behaving irresponsibly and taking on a rabbit you can't afford - you're admitting that you'll have to make an effort to get him neutered and the like. If anything, that just shows how seriously you're taking it and how responsible you are for your rabbits. *shrug* Good luck! ^^

thanks, i mean the next time i get a holiday boarder, or do some baby sitting, odd jobs here nt here that id o, i will get him neutured, so it wont be too long x

after giving away jelly's babies, it wont be too hard, bcus that was the hardest thing i ever had to do.

Im good at letting animals go, i let Chubby and Indi (now benji) go recently and that was difficult but i could do it:)

I think you're doing the right thing, too. :)

It's not as if you're behaving irresponsibly and taking on a rabbit you can't afford - you're admitting that you'll have to make an effort to get him neutered and the like. If anything, that just shows how seriously you're taking it and how responsible you are for your rabbits. *shrug* Good luck! ^^

Yeag this is good but dont you go looking on them freeadds sarah:lol:

Okay so im collecting him 2moro. jus emailed them asking 4 directions and asked what his name was. 'we neva named him'. poor little guy! so me thinks we need a naming competition tomorrow!
hopefully il be able to find him a great home :)

Back