• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit for adoption. . now here

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
My local P@H in Canterbury has a rabbit available for adoption at the moment who I thikn really needs an experienced home.
He is a largish lop, grey agouti/chinchilla? He is 2.5 - 3 years old and has been recently neutered. He was brought into the adoption centre because "he doesn't get on with small dogs" ?!:shock: He has runny eyes which he has seen the vet about and is *apparently* just an infection and he is on a course of drops for it. I picked him up and he is absolutely terrified - obviously totally unused to being handled.
Is there anyone in the area that could offer him an experienced home with lots of love nad time so that he can get to trust humans?
If anyone thinks they might be able to help, please let me know as I would hate for him to end up in the wrong home :(
And by the way, his name is Gordon :D

Oh, just to add, I asked how the sdoption works and you just give whatever you want (they suggested 5 or 10 pounds) and it goes to the dog's trust, so it won't be lining the coffers of P@H!

Last edited:
it goes to the dogs trust???
I am nowhere near so cannot help sooryy. hope gordon finds an experiences home xxx

Oh no not another bun needing a home!:( I hope Gordon finds a brilliant forver home asap!! But why the money go to dogs trust.. if it buns they rehoming? I thought it go to a small animal charity:?

Well, they rehome all kinds of animals in my local one - dogs, gerbils, rats and so on. At least it goes to an animal charity and not P@H :D

Yeah thats true, at least dogs trust have a non destruction policy I believe? Ooh I hope Gordon gets a home...

Well I decided to go and get him.
Now I need a little advice . . .
He has had the runny eyes problem for some time (he was brought in with eye drops that dated from June!) and he is on a 7 day course of Fucithalmic eye drops. The (P@H) vet says they can't find anything wrong with him and they wondeer if it might be an allergy. They said his teeth have been checked and are fine. He is inside at the moment on newspaper with dust-extracted hay in a rack.
What other possible causes are there for runny eyes? Other than infection or teeth or allergy all I can think of is Pasturella. Any other possibilities?

Unless they took an x-ray there is no way to tell if the tooth roots are causing the problem :?

There's two buns needing a home at my local P@H, they've been there for weeks. All the buns that are on their own go really quicky, seems no one wants two buns. But someone has bought the giant rabbit. I wonder how long before he ends up in a rescue? :?

I very much doubt they did x-rays!! I don't trust their vets opinion too much and I will be taking him to my vets for a check up and vaccs etc soon so will be definitely looking at all the possibilities with him :D
If it was teeth roots would there be other symptoms? Can the roots be bad without any of the teeth looking overgrown?

Aw Sal, poor bunny, at least he is in the best hands now. Hope your vet finds the cause, hopefully it's something simple like an allergy, was he on sawdust at P@H?

Yes!! I'm sure that didn't help. I hope so too that there will be a simple solution . . or at least some solution, poor rabbit :(

I think extraction is the only option for a tooth root problem but its quite a big procedure.

Poor Gordon is not in great shape. He is still really scared and hasn't eaten and barely drunk although he did actively drink from the syringe when I gave him some water that way. He is barely pooing at all (apparently he had as mucky bum in the shop as well :roll: ) and can't see any sign of wee. He is hopping around a fair bit though so thats something. Can't feel any blockages in his belly but he's definitely not feeling too good.
Seeing vets this afternoon so please can I have some eat and get well vibes for Gordon - I think he's going to need it :( At least he's out of P@H - I'm not sure how long he would have lasted if he'd stayed there in his glass box :(

Poor Gordon :cry:

All his symptoms (runny eyes, mucky bum, not eating much, reduced GI motility) are sounding very much like a Dental problem to me

He may drink from a bowl rather than a bottle. If he says molar spurs sipping from a bottle may cause the spurs to scrape against his tongue

Sending lots of vibes for him

Janex

Back