• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

9 weeks old...wont eat hay...soft poo

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
the two new rescue babies we have in arnt eating hay....or very little of it .

As a result some of their poos are soft .

ive never had this problem with babies before and im wondering if cutting back on their pellet feed will harm them or if theyll be ok on just hay for a week .

they are on SS at the moment and im also wondering if perhaps this isnt suiting them ....i could switch to excel but am worried that to change diet again may also cause more probs. :? :? we dont know what they were fed before coming into rescue:?

I would cut the pellets out totally Angie, they did eat herbage hay here which they quite liked....and then try introducing the pellets back slowly after a week or two.

Can you offer them some probiotic too?

they didnt have any pellets the first day as you had said they had been a bit mucky .

they have avipro in their water .

its not diareah ...just soft (sos cant spell:oops: ) im just a bit worried at cutting out all dry food with them being so young ...dont want to end up with stasis if theyre not eating enough :? :?

Are they on pure SS or have you still got some with the A&P mixed in?

I get the impression the A&P may not be as rich as the SS so just feeding a little of that may help?

Shame they were not weaned onto veggies either.

Personally I would not cut out all pellets if they aren't eating hay. Their guts wont cope with being empty
I know quarantine is an issue but is there a good hay eating adult Bun you could put the babies with. Sometimes they need to be shown what to do with hay if their Mum was not fed it or did not eat it.
Failing that *you* may need to show them, Yep I have gotten down on my hands and knees and shown a Baby Bun what to do with hay :oops:

Janex

What type of hay are you using Angie?

I know that Matilda and Flyn are very much into their hay, I can ask Charlotte what she is using if you want?

Perhaps a pellet such as Junior Excel might be better formulated for them?

Lol @ Jane :lol: :lol:

Personally I would not cut out all pellets if they aren't eating hay. Their guts wont cope with being empty
I know quarantine is an issue but is there a good hay eating adult Bun you could put the babies with. Sometimes they need to be shown what to do with hay if their Mum was not fed it or did not eat it.
Failing that *you* may need to show them, Yep I have gotten down on my hands and knees and shown a Baby Bun what to do with hay :oops:

Janex

:shock: :shock: :shock: my neighbours already think im bonkers ...i may get arrested :lol:

Are they on pure SS or have you still got some with the A&P mixed in?

I get the impression the A&P may not be as rich as the SS so just feeding a little of that may help?

Shame they were not weaned onto veggies either.

used the last a and p you sent last night .:?

think im gonna try them with a little excel....flopsey cant eat ss as it makes her runny ....worth a try

What type of hay are you using Angie?

I know that Matilda and Flyn are very much into their hay, I can ask Charlotte what she is using if you want?

Perhaps a pellet such as Junior Excel might be better formulated for them?

Lol @ Jane :lol: :lol:

our hay is bought by the bale ....so its just ...ordinary hay i guess :? :roll: :roll:
have also tried them with herbal but wont eat that either :?

What fussy little bunnies :shock:

Im sure they were eating hay here. I guess they will jus need some time to adjust, if they had been getting an awful mix then they may not be used to the high fiber and vitamin contents.

I would have asked but I was at the vets when they called round....even though I asked them to phone me in advance :roll: and Phil was to busy cooing over the babies to engage his brain.

MAtilda and Flyn are eating Timothy Hay with herbs that I got in the dreaded P@H... They get through a shed load of the stuff and have good poo cos of it! Maybe try it?

Back