• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Becoming un litter trained

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Trip or Scarlett have started peeing on the floor of their hutch in the last couple of weeks. They have always used their litter trays up until now and I have no idea why they have suddenly stopped. I think it is Scarlett but im not certain :roll: :lol:

They have vetbed in their hutch so I am having to take it out and wash it pretty much every other day and wash the wood, which takes forever to dry this time of year especially as I am having to do it at night. I dont mind doing that to keep the hutch clean but would prefer them using their trays because I know they know what the trays are for :lol:

I have watched them both in the house and they use their litter trays inside and look the same as they always have when they are peeing, not in pain or looking uncomfortable or anything. They are drinking the same amount as usual and not peeing anymore than they have in the past.

Anyone elses buns pee on the wood of the hutch? And do you just clean it everyday? Im not sure how to litter train them again because they know what the trays are for as they are still using them in the house :? I havent changed trays or anything, their hay is placed in the same place it has always been and nothing would have upset the scent of inside the hutch.

I know people line their hutches with tiles and stuff but my brother thinks if I do that the pee will still get through to the wood and we wont be able to clean it if we have stuck down flooring tiles or anything :?

Maa did this after 2yrs of being perfectly trained too, as she wanted to keep her litter tray for a bed - I squeezed a tiny cat litter tray into the bit where she had decided to pee, and at first she treated it like a new place to sit, and held all her toilet till she got let out :roll: FINALLY she cottoned on to what it was for though, and she now keeps her big box with hay in clean for a bed - she can't go on the floor cos it's wall to wall litter trays :lol: Doddle to clean though - takes 5 minutes every other day to do the tiny tray, and the big one with her hay in only needs a change of hay every 10 days (when it's about 6" deep) :)

I think I might add another litter tray then :D Its not even a certain place :roll: It was a corner the other day, then on top of the ladder and today it was in the middle :lol:

I will fit another litter tray in so she cant pee on the floor :lol: Luckily they never pee in their closed off area so Im not emptying all that hay out for cleaning every two days :shock: :lol:

:wave: Mine go through stages like that :roll: I have two trays in each hutch. They can then chose which one to lie in and which one to do their poops in :lol: Skippy and Thelma have three in their shed. One big dog bed they use for poops and the others they lie in. :D

Mine were not keen on using litter trays in their hutch so I lined the floor with thick newspaper which stopped the wee getting down the wood. Used megazorb on top of this in the favoured weeing corners and straw on top of this. We might have been lucky tho in that the buns had no interest in digging up the newspaper. Don't know if this is an option with you if your buns are on vetbed?

They just dig newspaper up :lol: And if I filled the whole hutch with carefresh they kick it all out and it end up all over the garden :lol: They seem to prefer the vetbed so I wont change that :D

They do have two, one in the bedroom part that they sleep in and the other one which they go to the toilet in :D I can see me putting another tray in and them just moving it and blocking the ramp hole thing :roll: :lol: I will give it a try though x

Lionel decided yesterday to become un litter trained never since i got him has he wee or poo anywhere other than in his tray but last night he wee on the mat :roll: and poo everywhere all over the living room i don't know what to do now i guess hope it stops :roll:
Sorry thats not much help to you is it :?

you haven't noticed any increase in water consumption? Sooty lost litter training a month or so back and also had much increased drinking. We had to treat for infection and EC.

Back