• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

standard black rabbit

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Hi im just curious as to what you would assume a black rabbits breed was...
bcus i dont know what to call Jelly....bcus shes a standard black rabbit....so what do you guys call a regular black bunny???

cus i feel silly calling her a cross when i dont know...she prob is..but still.......

xxx

lol oh i know that, i love her no matter what she is, but what i mean is, often with colours etc you can tell the breed sometimes....like with spots that cud be an english...so what breed is just...plain black, upright ears? my dad calls her ' a real rabbit ' hehe!

Nearly every breed (that come in different colors anyway) come in black:roll:
I'd just call it a black rabbit.
There is one rabbit breed that is always black, that is the Alaska. It is a rather large rabbit with uppy-ears.
Also, lots of breeds come in spots too. Lop dwarves, rexes, nethies, but I wouldn't consider them an English cross because of that. IMO you can't tell a rabbit's breed just by looking at the color, particularly since most dwarf rabbits are in fact registered in nearly all standardized colors, including black and spotted ones, which are actually quite common, particularly in lop dwarves and rexes.
If I were to tell my rabbits breed by the color, Sasuke would be mixed with Alaska (Although black rabbits were around long before breeders started working on that breed) and Aroma would be part sable, yet both are purebred with pedigrees:lol:

I think we should make up a name for mixed buns.. you know, cats are moggies, dogs are mongrels/mutts... what could bunnies be?! :)

I think we should make up a name for mixed buns.. you know, cats are moggies, dogs are mongrels/mutts... what could bunnies be?! :)

I heard a norwegian book terming them as "********" :roll: It sounds so mean....but then again wasn't the word originally made for crossbreeds?

EDIT: Yup. proves what it has become. I can't even type it:roll:

My Ebony is very similar, and she is a lop x mini rex...so really Jelly could be anything. :p :lol:

Just call her a black self bun? :)

In Dutch we have a not so nice term, which translated would be...
Trashbin-breeds...:oops:

Funny thing ... Clicquot's name is pronounces kliko when you have to write it in Dutch, which actually means a certain type off trashbin in Holland apparently...she is making up to that name at the moment :lol:

ive just always called harvey a cross when people ask what breed he is lol. then i get the - cross of what? ermmm ive no idea and they sorta just look at me blank lol!
altho its odd cas hes started to go a tad ginger in odd spots of his fur and around his ears afew months back :shock:

ive just always called harvey a cross when people ask what breed he is lol. then i get the - cross of what? ermmm ive no idea and they sorta just look at me blank lol!
altho its odd cas hes started to go a tad ginger in odd spots of his fur and around his ears afew months back :shock:

jelly is going copper there too, and on her back

Jelly is defo a lesser spotted copper egg rabbit from the black lagoons of the sea of azov in russia. There is only 1 breeder that breeds them in this country.

He's not sun-bleached then? My black rex turns golden-brown in the summertime:roll:
Guttenibingen.jpg

Here's a picture of him during molting. You can see both his bleached fur and how it's supposed to be:)

Funny if people don't get that someone may not know what breeds are in a bunny. If you get one from a rescue how are you supposed to know?:roll:
Plenty of mix breeds only look like mix breeds:lol: Nothing else. Also I tend to think many of the larger breeds look exactly the same, only with different fur patterns:p Only ones that are easy to recognize are those with special fur (rex, angora etc) and the lops:p

I always put my little black bun phoebe down as a mix, but with him being long haired so small i think he mite be a mix of a dwarf rabbit :?

ooooooooooh of course!!! why didnt i think of the sun being the reason!!! d'oh! should have really put two and two together shouldnt i! lol

Back