• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much bedding should buns have?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
My buns get about 1-2 inchs of hay for their bedding in their bedroom every night. I've seen some bedding on here that is about 4 inchs deep. If I used that much bedding, a bag would be gone in about two days. How deep is your buns bedding in their bedroom?

Um...I fill the whole bed area with straw and then let Millie make a big nest in it!:oops: :lol: But straw works better than hay as bedding IMO as she doesn't eat it, so I don't have to worry about topping it up every day. She still gets lots of hay in her litter box though.:D

I use quite a bit as you can see from this photo

Barley+cleaning

When I bought the bags (the rectantular compressed stuff), one bag filled 2 5/6ft hutches. I now buy 3ft bales from the horse supplier and one of those lasts about 5 to 6 weeks.

I'm not sure what right, they certainly need enough to snuggle down into should they feel the need to warm up.

Hannah

I don't use deep bedding for any of mine because it would generate too much waste. They have megazorb and hay in their litter trays. In the rest of their hutch they have a layer of newspaper and fleece blankets in summer, and shredded paper in winter.

I find that they are less inclined to pee on paper than on hay or straw. :D

Amy

I put hay in the hay rack and a good couple of inches of straw in the bed compartment, they squash this down every night so i just plump it up again for them and add more as required, they don't wee or poo in there so i just change that bit once a week when i do a big clean.

Mine use thier bedroom as thier toilet so i put thier litter tray in there.
i use lots of straw in thier bottom part. and also in the corner of the shed where they seem to sleep x

I fill the bedroom parts of the hutch right to the top, it takes about two big bags to fill them each up but they love making little tunnels in it and Scarlett always sleeps right in the middle :lol: Buu just stamps it all down and sits on it :roll: :lol:

I'm putting vetbed in soon so they will be a bit warmer. Should I get something for them to hide in if they want as they can't hide in the hay?

I've wondered about buying a large bale but have always been concerned about the dust and mites that they might contain. Am I out of date with my thinking? (its quite possible I am :roll: )

I'm putting vetbed in soon so they will be a bit warmer. Should I get something for them to hide in if they want as they can't hide in the hay?

Are they in a hutch outdoors? If so, I would think vetbed on its own isnt warm enough in winter so you'd still need hay/straw/shredded paper from them to snuggle into. And if they're in a hutch, then they have the bedroom part to hide in if they want.

Of course sensible bunnies would snuggle up in lots of bedding in the bedroom part at night (as it's easier to heat a small closed area than a larger more open one).

I'd suggest getting a smaller box and filling that with straw or hay and putting that in the hutch, if they are small buns they can then snuggle into that if they're cold. I don't think 1-2" is enough depth at this time of year, particularly for rexes who don't have as much fur to keep themselves insulated and warm. I have a 6ft hutch and I fill the bedroom with an entire bag of dust free straw.

I put hay in the hay rack and a good couple of inches of straw in the bed compartment, they squash this down every night so i just plump it up again for them and add more as required, they don't wee or poo in there so i just change that bit once a week when i do a big clean.

This is exactly the same as me!

I don't use deep bedding for any of mine because it would generate too much waste. They have megazorb and hay in their litter trays. In the rest of their hutch they have a layer of newspaper and fleece blankets in summer, and shredded paper in winter.

I find that they are less inclined to pee on paper than on hay or straw. :D

Amy

Yep, i use shredded paper for that reason too! :lol:

I also have pieces of carpet dotted around their living space and have only just recently started putting the paper in. :)

I pile the whole of their hutches full, i get a big bale of hay though and lasts a while, i need more though :rolleyes: xx

What do I do about them pooing and weeing in their hay? I can't put loads in and then change it completely everyday. And I'm adding vetbed with straw and hay.

Last edited:
Going against it all but Flopsy won't entertain anything but his carpet - probably due to him being a housebun when he was a baby in the summer. everything else he kicks away. He has shredded paper, two old towels and a bunny bed in his bedroom but still sleeps out front on his carpet.:shock:

Maybe once it gets colder he will go into his bedroom and snuggle up. :rolleyes:

Funny but he won't lay down anywhere, even the garden, unless he is on his carpet.

Tried loads of hay since he was baby and he just kicked it all out of way and laid on bare floor of hutch - only his luxury carpet was good enough for my bun!:oops: Sorry but he must take after his mum and like soft pile.

Much easier to clean and I have found the odd sneeze has disappeared as well.

Back