• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bored Bunny (soz long one!)

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Hello folks, wondered if I could grab some help and advise from you guys regarding my neighbours bunny.

Typical story really, young girls bought pet shop bunny on impulse, 12 months later the girls have moved onto boys and the bunny is left unattended for hours:(

Luckily between myself and another mad pet lover in our road his general needs are being met, he is lodging with me at the mo due to Firework season etc.

Its clear though the little fella, although really well in himself is very bored and lonely, he has a reasonable size hutch but very rarely gets much attention or let out to excercise:( :(

So I thought perhaps I could suggest some kinda share arrangment (not sure if the girls will give him up completely) - the lady over the road is completely besotted with him and would love to have him but has suggested perhaps initially having him a couple of times a week when she could pop over and take him back to her house and either give him a bedroom to run around in or perhaps let him stretch his legs in the garden.

My worry is that this might be too disruptive to him and is he then going to be even more miserable when he is put back in his hutch, but then surely its better than he is getting right now :roll:

He is a lovely bunny and is free range in my spare bedroom at the mo, completely clean and non distructive, it just seems such a shame - I'm dreading taking him back:cry: :cry:

Ahh poor little thing!

Maybe you could suggest that you or your neighbour has grown very attached to him and would like to keep him, the children could come over and visit whenever they wanted? The parents may even want him to go, esp as he will be happier!

Do you get on well with the parents??

Do you get on well with the parents??

Hi Bonnie - Yep get on with them reasonably well, although I have had to bite my tongue a few times regarding this little bunny gotta say:lol: :lol: but always wanted to stay on the right side of them really as I just sorta knew this day would come:roll:

Apparently the girls mum did mention to the lady who would love to have him that she didn't think her girls were looking after him and how little time they have, but I think they really like the idea of a bunny being in the Garden but are not giving him the stimulation and excercise he needs -

He is due to go back to them tomorrow:cry: :cry: - and I've already been over to clean his hutch out ready for him - so perhaps I'll give it a day or so and then pop round for a chat to see how things go:roll: - just carn't bear the thought of him being all alone stuck outside in a hutch with no one to give him luv or cuddles:cry:

do you drop him back lany or do they pick him up? If the latter do the kids come to get him, mum or all of them?

do you drop him back lany or do they pick him up? If the latter do the kids come to get him, mum or all of them?

Yo - howdie Denny, how ya doing gal;)

They are my next door neighbours so I pop him back to them - their mum has even less interest in him than the girls to be honest - I really think its just one of those things where the two daughters have now moved onto more interesting things - being BOYS at the mo:roll:

Hi ya right back at ya Lany:wave: :wave: :D

It's tricky when it is your direct next door neighbour but have you thought about just not taking him back and seeing how long they notice that he is not there for? If or when they come knocking, you could just explain how long he has been with you and as being as the weather has been so bad that you thought it was easier for him to stay with you;)

But then the woman in me with two hormonals herself would do the reverse phsycology and would go round and and say that you wanted to lay your cards on the table. Firstly I would say that I appreciate that the girls might not want to give him up but you have fallen in love with him and have the time to care for him, (which the girls clearly do not which is understandable at their age), rather than him be miserable stuck in the hutch with no interaction with another human let alone another rabbit and, what with the new welfare bill out and the due to be added codes of practice I would explain that you wouldn't want them to get into any trouble when these codes come out and would they consider you buying him off them. The whole time you are talking (make sure kids are present) cry your eyes out girl;) you would be surprised how a crying adult can make a young one feel guilty;) :lol: at the same time offer visititation access for them at anytime as I doubt they would keep them up for long;)

If they look like they wont take you up on your offer, proceed to cry and say that you are not sure you can do this anymore as it is not fair on him to be going from happy company with you to depressed bunny when he returns to them which is upsetting you immensly so perhaps they could seriously consider your offer of rehoming him to you and to think of the buns needs rather than their own as you are sure they are aware that this is what matters and that you are sure they will do the right thing by him being careing considerate people ;) :D

Reverse phsycology Lany;) , make them think that they are doing the right thing because they care;)

Just gush over him and say how wonderful he is and ask if you can bring him round to your place to play on an ad hoc basis, because you love to play with him. They will prolly say yes by the sounds of it. Then you just take him back less and less. Basicly he would only be in hutch overnight.

Either that or you say he is a little ill and needs to stay inside a bit longer. Then you say that because he has been inside for so long he has not grown a winter coat and so cant go back out till spring!

Yayyyyyyy folks I did it:) :) :)

Took all your advice and planned my bunny stategy - and hey presto - the little bunny is now safely assured of a cosy indoor bedroom with my bunny mad neighbour over the road for the winter period - were sorta thinkin that it will be a longer term thing but at the moment he is definately staying for the winter with review of what happens in the spring - hopefully even then he will stay with my friend for good but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

My nose is definately longer though after the porkies I have told tonight:oops: :oops: :lol:

Thanks sooooooo much folks for helpin out, I carn't always get on the Forum as much as I like due to work stuff:roll: but its great to know there's a helpin hand out there:D

well done Pinnoccio, I mean Lany:lol: :lol: :D :D :D

Do we get to see pic's of the happy fluff ball;) :D How is Zac and the girlies doing?

Do we get to see pic's of the happy fluff ball;) :D How is Zac and the girlies doing?

Cheers Gal;)

I'll do some pickies tonight for ya - he is adorable - but then are'nt they all:lol: :lol:

All Bunsters fine thanks gal, Buffs has had a rough time of it and had two ops recently for an abscess over her eye, we renamed her "Scarry Movie 2" for a short time:lol: - but she is such a strong girlie and doing just fine at the moment - will be glad when her fur grows back though as its a bit like have a "Cyclops" around the house - and it does scare Zak so:lol: :lol: :lol: - so in short these bunnies are so worrying but soooooooooooo worth it;)

Loads of bunny hugs to you and yours

Lany X

looking forward to seeing the lucky fella Lany:D :D

Sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh:lol: :lol: scarey movie 2 and cyclop are lovely names lany:lol: :lol: :lol: What with Tree's noseless rabbit and Chloes ear piercing bun I think we should have a bunny version of the tv series nip and tuck:lol: :lol: :lol: thats not to mention the plastic surgery on the does that have had a breast reduction:lol: :lol:

Howdie Denny and bunster folks, sorry it took a wee while but here's the munchkin - he is now happily settled in his new Bedroom with my bunnymad neighbour Chrissy, he has well got his paws under the table I can tell ya:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also popped one of Buffy here, my wee lass has gone through the mill abit lately with quite a nasty eye abscess but as you can see here she is doing just loooovly now;)

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

DSC01591.jpg

my my, what a sexy bun he is:love: :love: :love: so glad it has worked out for him:D I bet he is loving his new home and the new artificial bunfriend:love: :love:

Buffy dont look that bad Lany, not compared to Tree's bun with the nose jobby anyway:lol: It's amazing how eye brow plucking can go so wrong sometimes, shame there are not enough bunticians around;) :lol: :lol:

On a serious note though, glad she is recovering, things always seem really bad on buns for some reason and yet if we saw the same thing on a large animal they dont look as bad, perhaps its because buns are small so the injured area looks 10 times bigger than it actually is:? :? :?

Back