• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit bonding U/D i think ive done it!!woop woop

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, my two have seen each other on and off for a few days last week and have seen each other ebfore in the garden in diff runs etc,

but today they have been together since around 12...and jelly has chased him a few times but thats it, but i have 2 take them outside when my dad ets home from work, in an hour and a half, so when i seperate them...will i have 2 go thru all this again when i get them out next time??
or should i put them together in a hutch? (brand new)

Last edited:
It is always better to bond rabbits when you have 2 or 3 days off and you can watch them all day. It isn't very helpful to put them together and then separate them again, they have to start the whole bonding thing over and over again. If they have been together for a day and you can't see any attacks, then I would put them in a hutch together. As your hutch is new, it is neutral territory. Just make sure that any of the accessories like litter boxes, bowls, toys, etc., don't smell of one of the bunnies.
I would put them in the hutch and keep an eye (and ear) on them, and then only separate if there is any obvious aggression. A bit of chasing and fur pulling is normal, but if there is biting and ripping of ears, then you can't leave them together.

there is no time when i have 3 days off:( thery have been fine all day and the hutch is brand new, so im hoping they will settle, but if i do it now, then i can keep a watch til its dark

Ok so im not an expert but i wouldnt separate them, as i do believe that the whole thing will start again next time you put them back together.

I know you bought them a new lavender lodge so put them in there and keep checking on them through the evening.

I didnt have any problems bonding Pete and Jess or Twinkle and Louis and ill soon be doing Twinkle and Timmy as Tim is going for his neutering tomorrow.

Yes, then put them in the hutch now. It also helps with the bonding if they are in a rather small space and can't avoid each other. Stay in the garden and watch them, but from a distance. If the hutch has a ramp, I'd keep them on one level at first.

okay just as i posted that jelly started chasing him and wouldnt stop. she didnt bite him as such but wouldnt stop chasing him round the room, poor peanut got so frightened he leapt up on to my lap shaking

You should stay out of this really. Can you fence off a little area in the kitchen or bathroom for them? And stand closeby with a broom if things get too wild? It often helps to just stop them for a bit with the broom, and then let them get on with their business. Hopping onto your lap doesn't help for the bonding.

Is peanut a bit of a softie? could you not put them somewhere together where you were not within there reach but still able to keep watch, if Peanut is very close to you then he will keep trying to get to you instead of dealing with Jelly as it were LOL

I did have a bit of this with Twinkle and Louis, it took me 3 attempts at bonding them 2, this was mainly down to Twinkle being very young though at the time, Louis was a rescue bun and already neutered but Twinkle was only about 3-4 months old at the time so there was quite a difference in size too, once Louis and Twinkle had been living near each other for a couple of months and she had time to get used to him I bonded them again for a day in the garden while I prepared their indoor dog crate where they were to move into then at the end of the day I moved them both in together, they chased a bit and Twinkle hid a bit but the next morning they were cuddled up in a small furry dog bed:D

well this is the thing, if they were indoors it would be easy but they live outside, and today i had them indoors to watch them together but my dad will be home soon and he wud be mad if they were inside.

i wish there was sum1 close by hu cud help me!

I would put them into the hutch and not seperate them unless they hurt each other :D

But I would only do that if I had a few days to watch them all the time x

I would put them into the hutch and not seperate them unless they hurt each other :D

But I would only do that if I had a few days to watch them all the time x

exactly i dont have a few days, plus im ill at the moment so i really cant sit outside and watch them:(

I've bonded both my current pair, and the pair before this entirely differently than how people seem to say to do so on here... :/ Ooopsie.

well im always the first one 2 say that nothings textbook, domino was introduced on pebbles terratory at the rspca as the pen they usually used was being used at the time, and she said pebbles was so soft she shudnt react, and she didnt! so i know nothing is always the way u expect it 2 be. i just wish sum1 cud help me:(

I personally wouldn't have been comfortable with leaving my two alone overnight when I was bonding them. The first night they were together they almost had a fight which I had to split up. I ended up being bitten (wore gloves after that :lol:) and it could have been one of them if I hadn't been there to intervene. I'm not trying to scare you, honestly, but its definately something to consider. Is there no way you would maybe be allowed to have them indoors on a Friday night, keep them in until Sunday, then put them in their new hutch and keep watch for the rest of the day? Maybe your parents might be ok with it if there was a set time-period? Good luck :)

exactly i dont have a few days, plus im ill at the moment so i really cant sit outside and watch them:(

I dont have any spare days either, so Buu and Beau are having a few hours playtime each day until I can supervise them properly when they move back outside :D x

I know its not the best way to do it but if you really cant find the time its better than nothing, my two arent getting stressed at all and are getting on pretty well now so hopefully by the time I do get a spare weekend they will be even closer ;) They are living right next to each other at the moment though so can always see each other and its only mesh seperating them. Plus I am hutch and run swapping every day x

oh i forgot about hutch swopping, but jelly gets very distressed iof we take her away from her hutch...hmmm not sure what 2 do

bonding rabbits

hello ,well iam by no means an expert but i got my rabbit from a rabbit rescue i live in bristol and i travelled to wiltshire which took about an hour,the lady put the two rabbits together for about 20 mins there was a bit of chasing and mounting but it seemed to be going well,so she told me to put them in the pet carrier together and take them home.when i got home i put them into a new hutch (nuteral territory as suggested by the lady)and they have been there ever since living quite happily together,but what she did suggest is that if it started to get a bit tense between them to put them back into the pet carrier and take them for a car ride for about 20mins and that would settle them down again,but luckily for me i didnt need to do it.I have now built up hte courage to look for another match up for my little netherland dwarf hopefully i will find him a nice girlbun soon.:wave:

Back