• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do when they wont eat pellets

Lily and Choci, have always been fed on mix. the reason being I could not get them to eat any pellets we have tried excel, P@H and now SS. I really can't get them too eat them:evil: , the only bit of dry food they will eat are the green squased pea's in the bunny brunch but these are full of sugar and are no good for them.

so I was wondering, if cutting out dry mix was an option for me, I'd double there hay insted, but wanted some views on it.

thank you

vikki:wave:

I would say that as long as they're eating lots and lots of hay, that they can do without pellets, or at least with not many.

Before I knew any different with my last rabbit I used to give him unlimited pellets and hay - of course the pellets got eaten first - and he had teeth problems. The teeth got fixed and the vet told me to reduce the pellets - which I did - and he never had teeth problems again.

Bella and Tarquin get a lot less pellets combined than Harvey did (and that was after reducing his) - and they now eat mainly hay and really I think the pellets are more of a treat.

Rebec :)

Lily and Choci, have always been fed on mix. the reason being I could not get them to eat any pellets we have tried excel, P@H and now SS. I really can't get them too eat them:evil: , the only bit of dry food they will eat are the green squased pea's in the bunny brunch but these are full of sugar and are no good for them.

so I was wondering, if cutting out dry mix was an option for me, I'd double there hay insted, but wanted some views on it.

thank you

vikki:wave:

They should always be given as much hay as they can eat anyway - you could feed the hay and veggies diet as long as veg doesn't upset their tums..?

Personally i would feed then a small amount of mix but ample hay and veg on an evening for thier evening meal. I personally don't like the mixes, but if they r eating it all, they are not selective feeding so i wouldn't worry too much. Some rabbits don't like pellets and unfortunatly there is nothing you can do about that. x

They should always be given as much hay as they can eat anyway - you could feed the hay and veggies diet as long as veg doesn't upset their tums..?

thats what I was thinking, they d get unlimited hay but I could give even more, and some vegs. Choci used to get the runs eating to much veg but lately hes been fine.

Personally i would feed then a small amount of mix but ample hay and veg on an evening for thier evening meal. I personally don't like the mixes, but if they r eating it all, they are not selective feeding so i wouldn't worry too much. Some rabbits don't like pellets and unfortunatly there is nothing you can do about that. x

thats the trouble they are selective they only eat the green things (squesed peas I think they are).

I would say that as long as they're eating lots and lots of hay, that they can do without pellets, or at least with not many.

Before I knew any different with my last rabbit I used to give him unlimited pellets and hay - of course the pellets got eaten first - and he had teeth problems. The teeth got fixed and the vet told me to reduce the pellets - which I did - and he never had teeth problems again.

Bella and Tarquin get a lot less pellets combined than Harvey did (and that was after reducing his) - and they now eat mainly hay and really I think the pellets are more of a treat.

Rebec :)

thank you thats what I was hoping, I will keep buying pellets I think but will give a sprinkle night and morning incase they change there minds

When we take in bunnies a lot of owners say "they won't eat pellets" but within 10 days they are all eating them here:D
Aslong as your two get good quality hay and a selection of veg/fresh grass/herbs/etc...just give them a small amount of pellets and you'll fine they eat them!

When we take in bunnies a lot of owners say "they won't eat pellets" but within 10 days they are all eating them here:D
Aslong as your two get good quality hay and a selection of veg/fresh grass/herbs/etc...just give them a small amount of pellets and you'll fine they eat them!

well, I have tried like I said, not just once or twice but though out there 8 months here. if I put them in they take them out choci even burys his under his straw (I think he does this so not to upset set me bless him:D ). I have for the psat few days limited the number in the hope there'll think thats all there getting but they still haven't eatten any. I will continue to limit the amount for now and review again in a months time.

when i changed mine from mix to pellets only, i did it over a 2 weeks period. Starting off with mostly mix and a small amount of SS then gradually over the weeks starting putting less and less of the mix and more of the SS until they only had SS and it worked very nicely.

:wave:

Back