• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding tips

WalnutEarth626

Alpha Buck
Sorry i know there are bonding topics all over this forum but I was hoping to have this all in one location so i can just hit print and save it all.

I have a girl bringing her neutered buck her on Thursday to try and see if him and my spayed doe will get on, if the signs look promising then she'll take Doris and attempt to bond them. I've already said if it doesn't work out I'll have Doris back - but I really want Doris to be settled in a new home by Xmas so i really want this to work. Neither the girl or I have bonded before and she doesn't have internet access so i can't point her to this forum so i wanted something to print out for her.

She asked if all rabbits will bond, I said no not all but if she bought her boy up we'd introduce them in neutral territory and if they didn't try to rip each other to shreds then that was a good sign - was that right?

Secondly, where is best to introduce them? The whole house is laminate apart from the landing which is carpet - should we try it on the landing or would slipping on the laminate actually help the situation? (I know some people suggest the bath so didn't know if laminate had any affect?)

How long should I leave them together to give an indication that all will be well? Should they then travel back in the same carrier if possible?

Any tips for a successful bond welcome!!

Yep, neutral territory is the way to go. Just make sure the girl puts them in neutral territory when she takes them both home.

Bonding on laminate flooring is a good idea. I use my tiled kitchen floor for bonding because they can't chase or fight when they haven't got a sure footing.

Good luck. :thumb:

I use my kitchen floor but I do put towels down in places (and put food and water on them so I dont ned to keep moping up) as I worry they may injure themselves slipping and sliding all over the place.

Back