• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Foaling a Rabbit

lol i know, foaling is a horse term. But the only breeding stuff i know is in horses, not bunnies. I have a few questions...can anyone help me?

1. how do u know when a bunny is pregnant?
2. how long is a bunnies gestation period?
3. are there any special things i need to take care of baby bunnies?

1. Most people can't, they don't know until they give birth.
2. I think it's something like 3 months. Not sure...
3. Feed the mother more vegetables if she's used to it and more pellets.

Nest building a few days prior to birth is normal.. I don't think you can visibly see she's showing until a few days before or sometimes not at all.

The gestation period is one month but it can be delayed in certain circumstances (although not by that long).

Giev her more hay, pellets and veg high in calcium (like spring greens) to help with milk production if she is used to vegetables.

Oh, and don't breed your rabbit intentionally :)

If you think she's in the early stages of pregnancy it is possible to have an emergency spay.

Pregnant rabbits are not to be given any more pellets than usual. If they do, they can get overweight and get problems giving birth.
Rabbits and horses are two COMPLETELY different animals so if you don't know the basics, don't breed.;)

Pregnant rabbits are not to be given any more pellets than usual. If they do, they can get overweight and get problems giving birth.
Rabbits and horses are two COMPLETELY different animals so if you don't know the basics, don't breed.;)

agreed, also a gestation period of a rabbit is normally 31 days

Sorry, I didn't make my post clear that I meant after the birth :) (although I am just repeating what I've read as I've never had babies)

After about 21 days you can have a vet palpate the abdomen for kits or have a scan done.

Rabbit very rarely show weight gain until birth is imminent so thats not reliable. They will start to build a nest and pluck their chest fur from a few days until a few hours before kindling (giving birth). They need a nest box from the 25th day of pregnancy with plenty of material for nesting.

Rabbits usually kindle on the 31st day but it can range from 28-35 days.

Offer mum a supplement in her water with added vitamind and pro/pre biotics.

Make sure you have good, knowledgeable homes waiting for the babies else dont breed them...a litter averages 7 kits (dependant on breed) but could be many more.

thanks! I appreciate all your help. I already have homes for the babies. Im breeding to make my doe more comfortable, since I have heard if u dont spay them or breed them, they can die earlier, like dogs. And i really want to experience baby bunnies!! ;)

Why not just spay her when you are just adding to the rabbit population? Well done for finding homes for the babies though.

thanks! I appreciate all your help. I already have homes for the babies. Im breeding to make my doe more comfortable, since I have heard if u dont spay them or breed them, they can die earlier, like dogs. And i really want to experience baby bunnies!! ;)

That is a myth. The only way to make your rabbit more comfortable is to get her spayed. Because of the high risk of uterine cancer she will still die early if you dont get her spayed, the risk isnt any less if you breed from her. If you really must breed (and I cant say I recommend it, the potential problems associated with pregnancy are not in your does best interest) make sure you have homes for 8+ babies and also allow for the possibility of homes falling through (which they more than likely will).

Myth. Both in dogs and rabbits.
It's just silly, cause if this was true then all does would have to be bred, then all of their daughters, all of theirs...can you imagine how many rabbits that would be in the end?
Sorry, but to me that doesn't sound like a very good reason for breeding.

Yes its an old wives tale, sadly breeders and vets of the 'older' generation are still known to bandy this one about :roll:

Unspeyed does are more likely to die of 1. uterine cancer or 2. complications from kindling.

Speyed does are much happier, healthier and make better pets as the constant urge to breed is removed making them less prone to hormonal mood swings, aggression, territorial behaviour and phantom pregnancies.

Back