• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hope??

chinphat

New Kit
I've had Bunny who is a beautiful neutred female mini lop for about 8 months. We got her from a pet store when I knew NOTHING about rabbits and we got INCREDIBLY LUCKY with her. She was caged w another rabbit and they got along and cuddled and was litter box trained. Shes been an only rabbit since then though, and I've wanted to get her a buddy. So we went to the same pet store because rabbit vendors are hard to come by and i hoped to get lucky again. We got a lil male dwarf lop, we put them in a neutral room and everything and she outright attacked him, she would corner him and just bite. We had to take him back.

Saturday we drove an hour to get a bunny from a vendor. Noob is a black not neautred female mini lop approximately 7 months old (according to the vendor). Noob is horribly afraid of us, we can't really handle her or even pet her but if she might possibly bond with Bunny we would be very pleased.

We got a 2nd cage and put it next to Bunnys this time to start them off, they started sparring through the bars. We moved both downstairs after the night into the neutral room and Bunny will sometimes hop up to Noob and give her 1 or 2 licks on the head. Other times she will hop up and just nip or will just start to chase Noob. She never just attacks as viciously as she did with the dwarf. I was wondering if this could mean anything? Will they bond or at least be able to be left alone together? Will Noob ever be unafraid of us petting her and even bond with us?

It's very difficult to bond 2 mature females, especially if one is unspayed, as females are very territorial. Even introducing a male to a female should be done somewhere neither has been before, as the female will defend her home turf. Some rabbits have had noses badly bitten through bars too, so watch out for this. This thread has a post by Rachelwebster which is a similar situation to yours, and might give you an idea of how to get them to make friends eventually http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=107265&page=2

Spaying the new bunny definately help, give a few weeks afterwards to let her hormones die down and then introduce them in an area they have never been in before. Currently they will both be trying to defend what they see as their territory. Theres lots of information on here when you are ready to bond them :) It may be possible to bond them as they are, but if they fight due to the new bunny's hormones it might be hard for them to get along in the future.

Back