• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

encephalitozoon cuniculi and flakey ears

Tempest

Warren Scout
My lop eared rabbit Rowan has been diagnosed with encephalitozoon cuniculi. Her symtoms were urinating and drinking alot more than usual, unfortunately because it started when the weather got quite hot I didn't think it was anything to worry about, (she was eating fine and her normal self as well) so it was almost 2 months before I took her to the vet after the weather cooled down and I noticed that her urinating and drinking wasn't back to normal. she was on Fenbendazole for a month, but didn't improve totally, so they gave me another months course of Fenbendazole, which she's 16 days into. Shes still urinating more, but her drinking has improved over the past few days. Is there anything else I can do to help? Has anyone else had experience treating EC?

While I'm here, the past week I noticed some scaly flaky skin on both her ears in the same place (on the outside)- it doesn't seem to bother her and theres no sign of dirt or anything so I'm fairly sure it's not mites. I'll be contacting a vet next week anyway if it doesn't clear up, but in the mean time, any idea what it could be? Nothing changed in her hutch so I'm sure its not some kind of reaction.

If she is still urinating and drinking more than normal I would suggest you get a blood test done as these are both signs of liver or kidney problems.

If she is still urinating and drinking more than normal I would suggest you get a blood test done as these are both signs of liver or kidney problems.

Thankyou for responding. I should have mentioned before but she had bloodtests done in the begining to rule out other options and that was how the EC was diagnosed.

Did they show any problems with her liver and kidneys?

I think EC damage in these areas is permenant and you can only hope to prevent it progressing with the Fenbendazole.

A small amount of flakey skin on the outside of the ear (near where ear meets head) is normal in many lops.

If your bunny had ear mites, she'd have crust on the inside of the ear and it would be itchy.

Amy

:wave: funny you should say this, but one of mine had active EC this summer. They were both treated with Panacur for 6 weeks to treat the bug. Rolo had had the incontinence and general poorlyness like very gradual weight loss, snuffly nose, sometimes crusty eyes (both of which had never responded to antibiotics previously), and poor coat condition. She had all the blood tests - no kidney issues etc.
It wasn't until she had paralysed back legs that we finally realised what it was.
Since the panacur she is a different rabbit - she is plump, gorgeous fur, no crusty eyes, no incontinence. She even binkyed today!

But something the vet picked up on a couple of times was her flaky ears. She isn't a lop, and she didn't have mites, so it was quite strange. the vet basically said that as she had much bigger issues to deal with (ie the EC) we'd leave that for now as her skin wasn't red or sore and it wasn't bothering her.
And now she is fully recovered, she no longer has flaky ears. Maybe it was all connected? I'm not sure, but i thought I should post my experience of EC and flaky ears just to let you know.

Mybe its something to do with the lowered immune system, like people who are generally run down end up with dry cracked lips?

perhaps if she's been feeling under the weather, she might not have been grooming herself as much, I've noticed that Sooty is only back to his normal vain self after 28 days on panacur....and I am going to continue so that he has at least a 6 week course..

Thankyou for responding. I should have mentioned before but she had bloodtests done in the begining to rule out other options and that was how the EC was diagnosed.

Just out of curiosity, how much did the blood test cost?

My vet prescribed revolution for my 2 buns who had flaky ears, who also have had bouts with EC. She says there is more than one type of mite
that can cause the skin on the ear to flake. Revolution kills a lot of external parasites and their larvae and is supposed to be extremely safe so it might be worth a try.

Thankyou all for responding so quickly :) I'll get on to answering all your questions now :)

Sooz22, the bloodtests didn't show kidney or liver damage. If she hasn't improved totally at the end of the current course of medication the vet wants her to be taken back to run further tests to see how the medication is working.

abbymarysmokey, the flaky skin isn't near where the ears meet her head. Its further along near the edge. Still no signs that it bothers her though. There might have been some crust, thinking about it. I'll be checking that first thing tomorrow, though the flakyness does seem to have improved today.

Rabbers, Rowans also has poorer coat condition and is quite skinny. I do believe she has but on a bit of wieght in the past couple of weeks though. I think you could be right and it's all connected.

ecudc, Rowans never been what you'd call a tidy rabbit. But I have seen her grooming recently so I'm not sure thats it but thanks, its a possiblity.

Jupiter, her bloodtests cost about £60 I think.

carasblanco, thanks. If it doesn't clear up I'll ask about Revolution :) Though today I noticed the ears had improved a bit. Still keeping an eye on it though.

Edit: the flaky ears have cleared up, but she does seem to have something that could very well be earwax along the inside of her ears, it's very slight mind you, but she's going to the vet Monday afternoon just to be sure it's nothing :)

Last edited:
Back