• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wrong pairing?

brightspark19

Warren Scout
Hi, my rabbit Dandy lost hs brother over 4 weeks ago so i decided to get him a new mate and adopted a female rabbit of exactly same age and size.

I know i shouldn't have adopted her from the pets@home adoption area but she had been left there for 4 weeks because of a myxi outbreak and i fell in love with her. Plus i couldnt leave her in that little area for any longer

When i got Elsa (thts what i called her) home i kept her for a few days in an indoor cage because of the quarantine situation and then atemped to bond her with Dandy in the garden. At first they were ok, he chased her a bit and i thought they were just over excited. he stared washing her, then he bit her and she squealed and ran up and out of the pen.

Out of curiosity i tried her with another buck which i had rescued from the 'wicked witch of the south' aka my neightbour and was by himself. Didnt think it would work because he is such a randy rabbit he even tries humping my cats tail. But now they seem happy together.

I feel so sorry for Dandy that all the other buns are paired up. Im not sure if he was destined to be alone or if i should try bonding again or just let them be?

Last edited:
:wave: thanks ill have a good read of this. All my others have successfully paired. it just seems that once he lost his lifelong friend, he wont take to anyone else

I would certainly try again to bond him. Another option is to get someone else who to bond him for you. I believe for all rabbits out there, there is a partner awaiting them ... bit like for humans ;)

thanks for all ur help. He seems ok on his own but i might see how he goes before i try and get him yet another potential friend.

I would certainly try again to bond him. Another option is to get someone else who to bond him for you. I believe for all rabbits out there, there is a partner awaiting them ... bit like for humans ;)

how many tries do you have to go thro tho? if hes like a human when we lose our one true love do we ever fall again?

i hope you find a partner for your bun tho *fingers crossed for you* as a novice to this bun keeping after one failed bonding im feeling a touch disalusioned (sp?) with the whole bonding thing :(

how many tries do you have to go thro tho? if hes like a human when we lose our one true love do we ever fall again?

Am I right in thinking your bun has not long been neutered beofre you tried to pair it? If this is the case, bonding can be initially difficult with a frisky bun. Sometimes you need to try 2 or 3 buns, I have only had to do this once when I had to change the pairing which was one I did for a forum member a couple of years ago. I have only had one it took me 10 days before I would let them go home as they were quite iffy with each other, I would never split them up unless I am abandoning for a health reason or properly giving up, rather than split up due to me being unable to continue observing I would pass them over to another foster home to continue observing them.

I try three times and if the same rabbit rejects three partners then in my mind that rabbit has made its own decision to live alone and they are rehomed as house rabbits.

I have seen a few bonds where one partner has become very stressed and withdrawn throughout the process, getting worse over time. In one case I actually feared that he would go into stasis as he stopped eating totally.

cheers all :)

it could be as the rescue said Alvin was too soon after his op.... and hell get another try before im totally convinced hes happy alone.... it was awful tho letting him go for a few days and then the little monster not even bringing home a wife!! i really cant imagine him being any different because hes been a little demon since we had him and only got slightly more naughty when he hit teens.. im hoping next time he will understand we havent abandoned him and we do come back which might make him less likely to fight... i really fell for his intended too :(

Back