• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding question

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Hey im trying to bond peanut butter and jelly, and they will be together in neutral area 4 ages and be great together, they share food, toys and Jelly even grooms him,. great

except, this is when peanut barley moves....if he does a binky, or a little jump, or even hops away from her she leaps on him and bites him...why is this?

i dont think so...ive had her over a year and never noticed anythign and shes been tot he vet many times and hes never said anything, whyd you ask???

she isnt drawing blood no, but peanut starts quivvering and i feel really bad for him. plus, every now and agaen he does stand upt o her and then they lock together and i have to pull them apart. my mum was like 'they pbviously dont want to be friends' but she does groom him, why would she groom him if she didnt like him?!!?

confusedddd

This could be completely wrong - it's a guess really.

But when rabbits seem to be ignoring one another when bonding, or when they lie down but at a distance, they're testing if they find each other a threat. So they're watching for any sudden behaviour, weighing up the threat posed by the other bunny. Peanut suddenly moving might seem like a possible threat to Jelly, who responds defensively? Which would tie in with any quetry over her eyesight... it'd spook her even more if her eyesight was poor. It might just be one of those things that she has to work out for herself... that Peanut's binkies, or moving don't mean anything scary ? Up until she does this, I s'pose all you could do is supervise them and separate them if it gets too rough? ^^

shes like it with us aswell, like if she sin her hutch she will be fine until i got o get her bowl, or stroke her etc, how could i tell if her eyesight is poor? shes only a year and a half ish old.

Eeee! New siggy picture! xD Pretty!

I would guess that the most accurate way to determine how poor/good her eyesight is would be to consult a vet. But does she ever do that scanning thing...? Where they sort of bob their heads to and fro or from side to side? I used to have some ratties who did that... Mostly it was the white or pale rats with red eyes, but I had a lovely big black rat who I think had poor eye sight... she was prone to lash out if approached too quickly with a hand or something... Or, possibly, does she ever tilt her head to favour one eye when looking at something? I've seen on here before someone asking why their rabbit looked at them with a slight tilt of her head, despite not being stuck that way, and people asked if perhaps one eye was poor?

no shes never done anything like that. shes never done the head scanning/bobbling her head etc, so tbh i would be very shocked and suprised.

I just dont know whats wrong with her, she seems to be so angry all the time, and shes bites and lunges at me, shes only ever happy when shes with peanut..until he moves.

i want to bond them but im a bit wary of it, i bonded ym other two but they were love at first sight so it wasnt a problem...

Back