• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly not eating after op

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
Molly had an operation on friday to remove an abscess below his ear. When he came back home friday evening, he ate like a pig :D Yesterday he ate a bit of fresh veg in the morning and ate hay and grass throughout the day. But last night I noticed he wasn't eating anything, so i had to syringe his food.

This morning he still wan't eating and his poo was small and dry. Took him to the vets for a post op check, the vet felt his tummy and said it feels ok, also took his temp and that was ok, his wound is also doing well. The vet has given me oral metacam (which he gave todays dose at the vetS) and gut stimulating medicine. He came back home and started munching hay and a dandy lion (yay).

Since then hes gone back to not eating and hes sat in the corner of his hutch grinding his teeth. I have syringed him a bit of science recovery which I am giving small amounts every hour. We don't have any poo yet. Is there anything else I can do for him? Its so distressing not seeing him eat because usually hes such a little piglet. :(

Thanks for your help :cry:

Poor Molly.

Sounds like he is in pain as he's grinding his teeth. I'd keep syringe feeding, does his tummy feel bloated? If it does, Infacol may help.

Other than that, try to keep him as warm as possible and if you can, make him move around a little bit to get his guts moving.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

What dose metacam did the vet give earlier? He may have underdosed him or if its the right amount he may be able to have another dose depending on what the vet already gave him.
Also what weight is Molly?
:D

Hes been given 12 drops of 1.5mg/ml of metacam a day (equiv to 0.05mg per drop)....not sure if that makes sense?

Hes a mini lop so hes not very heavy at all. Iv syringed fed him... his tummy was making a gurgling noise... hes just done about 30 little poos.... they are all quite small and vary in size. Do I need to give him some more pain relief?

xx

Last edited:
oh thats good news, how much should I give him if hes been having 12 drops (0.05mg per drop?)

Thanks for your help x

Back