• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chewing

kizzybunny

Young Bun
hello all

how can i stop my 10 week old rabbit chewing everything in sight ?:lol:
she goes from one thing to another. she scrats up the carpet and chews magazines, books etc.

no matter how i try she seems to find things too :lol:

is there an effective way of preventing this unwanted hehaviour? someone i know suggested ''puppy don't chew'' spray/. is this safe with rabbits? and does it work?

i think ive seen a thread on here where olbas oil was suggested as a prevention method. i have yet to find anything that has stopped lola, we even had to put tape around the carpet because she was pulling it from the grippers. we give her a box full of old magazines and leaflets for her to rip up and a piece of wood for her to chew. after her spay she has calmed down. there will be more experienced ppl on here with much better suggestions than me.lol.

i think ive seen a thread on here where olbas oil was suggested as a prevention method. i have yet to find anything that has stopped lola, we even had to put tape around the carpet because she was pulling it from the grippers. we give her a box full of old magazines and leaflets for her to rip up and a piece of wood for her to chew. after her spay she has calmed down. there will be more experienced ppl on here with much better suggestions than me.lol.

i have been told that spaying reduces digging and chewing - so i will look forward to her spay :lol:

i am going out today to find some toys and boredom busting things for her. I wonder if shes a bit bored with her surroundings and finds the need to chew. I figure fif shes occupied doing other things she will stop chewing :roll:
me and my bright ideas! ill end up spending a fortune on toys and she will still chew :lol:

You may find that part of it is natural behaviour. Digging is a rabbit thing to do, they don't have a concept of carpet v. soil. Stripping bark is another natural bunny behaviour as if pulling/chewing anthing in the way :)

I'd suggest buying a treat ball but other than that you'll probably find most toys you make are better for chewing issues. A cardboard box is a good one. Any smaller boxes e.g. cereal, packaging, egg boxes, toilet rolls etc. stuffed with hay and a couple of pellets. If it's a bit messy for you pop them in a box/crate that helps contain the mess. A string with clothes pegs is good you can hang all sorts off it to keep her busy. If she has veg, hang it all up.

Tamsin

are the treat balls those balls you pop treats in and they roll them around to release treats?

thanks for all the suggestions. im going to get vicks vapour rub now from the supermarket! do you just apply it to things you don't want chewing?

ios there a spray you could make up to spray on stuff?

ahh i know what you mean now. i have seen them in pets at home.
ill get one of those today too. i thought they loooked good when i saw them. But wasn't sure if it was suitable for a rabbit. thanks :)

i have been looking for a treat ball for ages to try and stop the path of destruction in my house! So are they in the cat section rather than rabbit? Or where can i get one - i never see them in any pet shops?

you can get a little yellow one with carrots on it from the pet shop near me for £2.30, mine love it! scampi actually pounces on it!

i have been looking for a treat ball for ages to try and stop the path of destruction in my house! So are they in the cat section rather than rabbit? Or where can i get one - i never see them in any pet shops?

Bunny basics do them (search for treat ball). Not sure about which pet shops do them though :)
Bailey doesn't chew as much now he is older, my poor table is maimed, but hes not had a go at it for a while now. Rotate which toys you give them (mine get bored after a while and want new things) and try moving the room layout and giving things to climb on (if they like that) to keep them busy and amused :)

i ended up buying a willow ball and cramming treats (fruit and veg) in the gaps in that. She seems to like it and it couples up with a knawing toy too :rolleyes:

Yep, look under cats/dogs - the size doesn't really matter. If you've got an independent local shop - ask they might order one in :)

Back