• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vaccinations

kizzybunny

Young Bun
kizzy is having her vaccinations next week for myx (you know what i mean LOL) and VHD. Does she really need these if she is to be a house rabbit. The vets insist she does but then they would wouldn't they :roll:

thanks for reading my post :)

i would take the vets advice, myxi can be carried in lots of different ways and it is a horrible disease. the myxi and VHD have to be given 10-14 days apart, not on the same day. has your vet advised this???

i would take the vets advice, myxi can be carried in lots of different ways and it is a horrible disease. the myxi and VHD have to be given 10-14 days apart, not on the same day. has your vet advised this???

yes she has.

i have to have one jab then take her for the other two weeks later. :)

thankyou for your reply.

thats good, you seem to have a good vet! what breed of rabbit is Kizzy?? you are doing the right thing with regards to the vacs, better to be safe than sorry. my lola had a bad reaction to the VHD which happens sometimes but i will still give her it again because the disease is so much worse than the reaction she had

thats good, you seem to have a good vet! what breed of rabbit is Kizzy?? you are doing the right thing with regards to the vacs, better to be safe than sorry. my lola had a bad reaction to the VHD which happens sometimes but i will still give her it again because the disease is so much worse than the reaction she had

yes the vets is a good one. Been to them quite a few times with my budgies and my mum has used them for years and years.
kizzts mum is a rex (black velvit coat - gorgeous) and her dad is a blue fluffy thing with floppy ears :lol: . French lop i think.

kizzy isn't lop eared though. Shes like her mum.

Yep, Kirsty is right :) Myxi is spread by biting insects so it only takes one mosqito to sneak into your house or for you to bring a flea home from a cat/dog you met and that could be carrying myxi. VHD is spread by contact so you can walk it in on your shoes or carry it on your clothing :(

Tam

We're also looking to get our buns done next week..mxi first, then VHD.

First injections and feel a tad guilty HOWEVER, considering the alternative, my guilt soon disappeared into a myriad of responsible parent syndrome :shock:

...that said, with 2 younger kids...the vacinations are nothing new ... doesnt get any easier but I guess, its all for the greater good.

Thereafter, I'll need time to recover from the open wallet surgery the vets round here inflict on bunny owners :lol:

We're also looking to get our buns done next week..mxi first, then VHD.

First injections and feel a tad guilty HOWEVER, considering the alternative, my guilt soon disappeared into a myriad of responsible parent syndrome :shock:

...that said, with 2 younger kids...the vacinations are nothing new ... doesnt get any easier but I guess, its all for the greater good.

Thereafter, I'll need time to recover from the open wallet surgery the vets round here inflict on bunny owners :lol:

how much are the vaccines then? i was told they were £21 first time then £12 the second.

how much are the vaccines then? i was told they were £21 first time then £12 the second.

Im kinda new to rabbits tho round these parts they differ from £15ish - £48 for the Mxi jag!! And from £15 to £30ish for the VHD...

I got a quote of £42ish for both jags, PER rabbit from a decent sounding vet who I liked the sound off...therefore, total £84 for me next week with the Mxi jag getting done first, VHD a couple of weeks later

RR

Hi :) Glad you've decided to get the vaccines done. My two are house rabbits and have their VHD once a year and myxi twice a year, better safe than sorry! My vet charges £16 per vaccine, although it was less than that at the start of the year, by the time I get them done again it'll probably be more :roll: :lol: The VHD can be more expensive depending on the brand of vaccine used. I don't know the details, but thats why it can be expensive.
Just wanted to add - rodgerrabbit - your bunny pair looks like a younger version of mine! They are gorgeous :love:

Hi :) Glad you've decided to get the vaccines done. My two are house rabbits and have their VHD once a year and myxi twice a year, better safe than sorry! My vet charges £16 per vaccine, although it was less than that at the start of the year, by the time I get them done again it'll probably be more :roll: :lol: The VHD can be more expensive depending on the brand of vaccine used. I don't know the details, but thats why it can be expensive.
Just wanted to add - rodgerrabbit - your bunny pair looks like a younger version of mine! They are gorgeous :love:

Yah...looking at them, they do look very similar dont they!!

Nice looking buns you have..so, I can expect ours to get even bigger and more mischevious :D :lol:

Im quite lucky with vaccs as my vet only charges £11.75 per vaccine :D I do have a number of bunnies though :lol: Vaccination is so very important must admit I still shut my eyes when the buns are being injected :shock: :oops:

Back