• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning the litter corner in a permanent run?

redfrock

New Kit
My bunnies have permanent access to 10ft x 8ft runs and are so happy. When they were in their temporary cages when they came home from the rescue centres and were being neutered and bonded etc they were ever so good about using a sturdy seed tray as a litter tray. It made life so easy. Now I am sure they think they are being very well behaved because they do not dirty their cages at all and I am very proud of them for being so clean and meticulous :D :lol: However instead they use just one corner of their runs (although Smudge, my boy bunny isn't quite as tidy as the girls and tends to spread himself out a bit further (along a 3 ft long strip to be precise, with Ember, his girlfriend sticking to just a corner of it) . After just 8 weeks the grass in these corners has died and the area is heavily urinated. I clean the area out twice a week. I then spread some Stalosan powder over the area (a powder disinfectant - google it, it's great stuff, we use it in the chicken run - prevents all sorts of nasties) and then put some fresh soil down over the area (I'm working my way through the unused growbags at the mo) just to try and keep the area clean and fresh. They refuse to use litter trays outside - they just throw them all over the run and empty them out.

My main concern is that it is only winter and the area is really unpleasant - so what on earth is it going to be like in the summer, and after an even longer period? The run isn't covered but the rain doesn't seem to freshen the area up. Today I noticed some tiny weeny flies (like fruit flies) in the area when I cleaned it. I boiled a kettle and poured it over the area just to be safe and then followed my usual routine. All the rabbits had already been beaphar fly striked and their bums are ok, so I know I have no worries there. I'm just stumped as to how to keep the area hygienic. I would be grateful for any advice.

(PS sorry for the ramble)

do you have poo trays?.

If they go in the same corner, just put a poo tray there then that will be easy to keep changing.

:D

Could you put something heavy in the litter trays if they are large enough? Fill them up as normal and then put a brick in it to weigh it down so they can't throw them around?

thank you for such a quick reply! Unfortunately I have tried this several times but they just throw them around the run and then promptly go back in the same corner - they are so stubborn! :roll: I have tried putting some of their poo into the trays but to no avail. I will keep persevering though

try some hay close to the litter tray, that sometimes does the trick!.

Munching happily on the hay and pooing in the tray!!

good luck

:wave:

Could you put something heavy in the litter trays if they are large enough? Fill them up as normal and then put a brick in it to weigh it down so they can't throw them around?

what a brilliant idea - I hadn't thought of that (logic was never my strong point). We have plenty of bricks - we have stockpiled some because they are thoroughly enjoying digging up areas of their runs and we put a brick in the spot until we can fill the hole back in :D

thank you all for such fabulous and prompt replies - I knew I could rely on this forum to point me in the right direction :D :D :D

I would put paving slabs all around the perimiter of the run, on the inside - easier to clean and will stop them digging out. My rabbits have run of a patio and it's like a flock of sheep have been over it when they've done :roll: I sweep up every morning before I let them out, and disinfect the wee areas with dilute disinfectant twice a day, so it never smells - I'd hate to manage a grass run as they totally trashed the garden when I let them have access.

what a brilliant idea - I hadn't thought of that (logic was never my strong point). We have plenty of bricks - we have stockpiled some because they are thoroughly enjoying digging up areas of their runs and we put a brick in the spot until we can fill the hole back in :D

i have the same prob with my domino and pebbles, i added a seed tray (cheaper than a liter tray was just 49p) and now they poop in there instead. still annoying but alot better!!

Back