• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New bunny, poss myxi. help.

isla

Mama Doe
My new rabbit has some weird little bumps on the back of her ears. One big one on one ear (well not big but bigger than the others) and a few on the other ear in a line. She also has weepy eyes, but has had this for a very long time according to her old owner. She doesn't have swollen genitals, and is eating (loads) and drinking, and hopping around happy.

I am not too worries about the eyes, and she has a vet appointment on tuesday, but the ears worry me, alot. They feel like scabs. Does anyone know what they might be?

My new rabbit has some weird little bumps on the back of her ears. One big one on one ear (well not big but bigger than the others) and a few on the other ear in a line. She also has weepy eyes, but has had this for a very long time according to her old owner. She doesn't have swollen genitals, and is eating (loads) and drinking, and hopping around happy.

I am not too worries about the eyes, and she has a vet appointment on tuesday, but the ears worry me, alot. They feel like scabs. Does anyone know what they might be?

Do you know if she has been vaccinated against Myxi within the last 6 months?

Janex

Do you know if she has been vaccinated against Myxi within the last 6 months?

Janex

Nope she hasn't she has never seen a vet, I rescued her last night, her eyes have been bad for ages and the old owner has been 'treating' them with salt water, but stopped as she got bored.

Nope she hasn't she has never seen a vet, I rescued her last night, her eyes have been bad for ages and the old owner has been 'treating' them with salt water, but stopped as she got bored.

How long has she had the lumps, did the old owner know? If shes not been vaccinated then if she got myxi it would be full-blown, not nodular surely? So she wouldn't get lumps? Correct me if I'm wrong though anyone!
Have you had a look to see whether she has ear mites? Maybe they are causing her to scratch and it is irritating her ears? I found a few lumps on the inside of one of Bailey's ears before, once I trimmed his nails they disappeared, I think his nails were scratching him when he cleaned his ears (hes never had ear mites). I hope she doesn't have myxi :(

How long has she had the lumps, did the old owner know? If shes not been vaccinated then if she got myxi it would be full-blown, not nodular surely? So she wouldn't get lumps? Correct me if I'm wrong though anyone!
Have you had a look to see whether she has ear mites? Maybe they are causing her to scratch and it is irritating her ears? I found a few lumps on the inside of one of Bailey's ears before, once I trimmed his nails they disappeared, I think his nails were scratching him when he cleaned his ears (hes never had ear mites). I hope she doesn't have myxi :(

I so hope you are right! I know its horriable to say but I really hope they only get bumps/ scabs with nodular. Her ears seem clean. Hre old cage had really close together, rough wire, She might have scrached herself on that maybe. I haven't clipped her claws yet, as I wanted to settle her in before I start poking around too much. Thank you so much, I was so worried!

Perhaps she has ben trying to scratch her eyes if they have been runny and irritating her.I know my bun sometimes used to scratch his ear when his eye was sore. Could be why she has scabs on her ear. If it was myxi you would think there would be scabs around her eyes too. Pam

Her eyes are starting to look better by the day already, I think they were just bad because of her very dirty hutch, and being kept on sawdust. Now its just the fur around her eyes thats a bit damp, instead of grey gunk comming out.

Back