• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can vets justify not treating...

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
An animal just because another they're registered at another vet or another vet is currently treating the animal??

I've heard of several cases recently where a local vet wouldn't treat a rabbit because another further out of town vet was already treating them :evil:

The most distressing case was an acquaintences mxyi bun dying in screaming agony because my vets wouldn't PTS her - the reason the other vets I use were in charge or her care :evil: :cry:

She only went to my vets because they were closest :(

I'm shocked and absolutely horrified because my vets were so good with our myxi buns and with me, including dragging me off the floor at one point :oops: :cry:

I'm surprised they wouldn't do a straight pts. In other cases I would guess it's in part because they don't have the medical notes so they could accidently give drugs that shouldn't be mixed etc.

I'd right to the practice manager over that particular case tho :?

Ive not heard of such a thing to be honest :? Its quite common for us to get clients from other practices and we just phone the other surgery and request a faxed history or if the other surgery is closed we treat the animal as neccessary and just ask the owner to provide as much info as they know.
Thats absolutely disgusting what the vet did, I do not understand why they would not treat an animal in obvious agony?:?

Ive not heard of such a thing to be honest :? Its quite common for us to get clients from other practices and we just phone the other surgery and request a faxed history or if the other surgery is closed we treat the animal as neccessary and just ask the owner to provide as much info as they know.
Thats absolutely disgusting what the vet did, I do not understand why they would not treat an animal in obvious agony?:?

I went into a local vets last night, basically saying Ive a very sick bun, just been speyed, will you treat her? Ended up crying...She said no. Her reason? "We dont know what shes already been given" - How many seconds would it take to ring my normal surgery (a lot further away, hence taking her local), find out what meds she'd had & treat her? X

Im very lucky that both my vets practices are aware that I transfere patients between them for different procedures.

I guess because I am always able to fill them in on treatment to date (and on occasion tell them excatly what I want doing) they are confident to continue treatment or try other options if necessary.

They always have the option of requesting medical notes from each other too.

Its vitally important to me and the health of our animals that my vets can co-operate and it would be an awful struggle if not.

Back