• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wanted: neutered female guinea pig

Becca6

Mama Doe
Sorry if I've put this in the wrong section.

I lost my dear piggie Basil earlier today and I'm really worried about his friend Diddy, who is 17 months old. I hand-reared Diddy from being three days old and when he left his mummy he lived with his daddy until he died just before Christmas last year. I then tried him with Basil and they've been very happy together.

I will ring my vet on Monday to find out how many guinea pigs they have neutered as I am not prepared to put my darling Diddy at any risk, but would prefer that this is done so that he can live with Polly and Posie, his mum and sister. Obviously until that's done he can't live with them. I tried earlier this summer to bond him with his two brothers but it didn't work.

I have left Diddy with Basil's body until I get home from my mum and dad's this evening and will bring Diddy into the house into one of my spare indoor cages.

In the meantime I thought if there were any neutered female guinea pigs out there looking for a home maybe she could come and live with Diddy, and then once Diddy has been done I can see whether the three girls and Diddy are happy together. If not as long as they are happy in pairs they can stay that way. I have the room and the love and just want to make sure that Diddy is happy and OK.

Does anyone know of any female guinea pigs who might be looking for a nice new home with a beautiful boy?

Rebec :)

Last edited:
I think you will struggle to find a neutered female to be honest.
I may be mis informed but i think that there aren't many vets that are happy to neuter a female as it is a much more complicated op.
I was not confident that any of the vets in my local area would neuter even a boar so i adopted an already neutered boar.
It may be best to neuter Diddy to bond him with your sows.
Sorry to hear about Basil :cry:

I think you will struggle to find a neutered female to be honest.
I may be mis informed but i think that there aren't many vets that are happy to neuter a female as it is a much more complicated op.
I was not confident that any of the vets in my local area would neuter even a boar so i adopted an already neutered boar.
It may be best to neuter Diddy to bond him with your sows.
Sorry to hear about Basil :cry:

Hi

Thanks for this. I did think it may be a problem finding a neutered female. I know how cautious I am about having Diddy done and he's a boy, and I can understand vets being more reluctant with girls as it is so much more invasive.

My vets are very good with spaying and neutering rabbits - Bella was spayed earlier this year - so hopefully they may also have done some guinea pigs. If they haven't I don't think I would feel able to risk it as Diddy is very dear to me - I also hand-reared his dad and he was well over eight when he died last year - I had a very special relationship with Billy and would love to have the same with Diddy. I'll have to decide after speaking to the vets, and if I don't feel I can take the risk then maybe he'll have to stay a house-guinea pig with lots of cuddles.

Rebec

Becca, I've started taking in and rehoming guinea pigs.

Hallam vets do neuter pigs, when I spoke to Lee Roberts he sounded confident and reassured me about the procedure. It's not overly expensive either, £58.60.

I've also got a potenially preggers 2 year old pig who they will be spaying if she's confirmed preggers.

I've got a rescue boar who I'm considering getting neutered to pair him with a sow. I'd definately trust them at Hallam.

Nicola

Becca, I've started taking in and rehoming guinea pigs.

Hallam vets do neuter pigs, when I spoke to Lee Roberts he sounded confident and reassured me about the procedure. It's not overly expensive either, £58.60.

I've also got a potenially preggers 2 year old pig who they will be spaying if she's confirmed preggers.

I've got a rescue boar who I'm considering getting neutered to pair him with a sow. I'd definately trust them at Hallam.

Nicola

Hi Nicola

Thanks for this. I thought they would but never having asked I wasn't sure.

Now I know where to come to get a new piggy - before finding this forum and realising how many bunnies and now piggies need rehoming, I've always got them from a pet shop - never again.

I've bought Diddy in and he was in a real stressed state and buried himself under my arm for ages - a combination of losing his friend and the blasted fireworks. He's in the kitchen til I sort things out properly. He's now hiding in his bed poor love - hope he'll settle down and stop being so stressed soon.

Rebec

Im really sorry you lost poor Basil Becca :cry: :cry:

Im afraid as I know squat all about GPigs I dont take them in, I couldnt care for them adequately.

I know sooner or later a rabbit will arrive with GPig attached and then I will be ringing Nicola in a mad panic! :oops: :oops:

Back