• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to get Rosie speyed? Before bonding?

Definately after would be best. If they bond and then she comes back smelling differently from the vets the other bun may not accept her at that moment and you may have to bond again anyway! Also your bun will need some time to recover on her own so i would def say after. I thought 6 months was the age? I could be wrong - think depends on the vet etc but mine wouldnt do it until mine ws 6 months

On the other hand, bunnies recover better from a spay if they have a friend with them. Our vet asks people to bring all rabbits in a group, even if only one is ill or getting spayed. That way the bond won't break, and the bunny won't be all alone after her operation.
Is Jess a female, too? If you bond them before the spay, then I would give them a few weeks to bond before the operation. If you bond them afterwards, I'd wait about 2 weeks after the operation.

I'd phone and ask your vet for their guidelines on spaying - some have an age policy whilst others go by the weight of the bunny.

Back