• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying question

Radish

Mama Doe
Hi

My bunny girl Maisie is going to the vets to be spayed on Thursday.

We don't know for certain how old she is as when we bought her we were told her date of birth was 25/5/07 but some of the care sheets and the receipt say 25/3/07.

so she is either five months or seven months old.

she is a Netherland Dwarf.

i wish to spay her now because she is bitey and spraying urine and being a complete mare....it's like my cute girl is possessed....when you stroke her she lays down and puts her tail over like she expects you to mate with her.....poor lamb.

is she old enough to be spayed if she's five months not seven?

i'm hoping it's ok as i can't imagine it being fair to make her carry on mixed up like she is but i want to do what is right by her:?

Mine were spayed at about 4 1/2 -5 mths ish. I think it mostly depends on the vet's confidence. How old does the vet estimate her to be? I think there is a little concern that at a young age they may not be fully developed and it can be harder to remove all the tissue, which can result in an incomplete spay. I only found this after mine were done but my *experienced rabbit spaying vet* felt it was so much better to do them early as there are less risks with the anaesthetic and they recover a lot quicker. :D

hi i doubt the vet will be able to tell if she is five or seven months but they spay rabbits every other day so have plenty of experience.

i've watched plenty of the ops and have full confidence in the vets but my question was really more about whether it was right to have her spayed in case she is only five months, however i don't want her top carry on with her current behaviour as she seems so unhappy.

Some vets will spey at less than 6 months providing the rabbit has reached a certain weight.

Have your vets seen her before? Is she going for a pre-op check?

Your rabbit will be fine to be spayed on Thursday. Smaller rabbits can be spayed earlier (some from 4 months) and yours will be a little over 5 months by then antway. If she hasn't been checked over by the vet already then she'll need a pre-op check before hand to make sure everything's alright.

she's not going in before hand,she'll just be going in with me and my dog as i work there two days a week.

the last time they saw her was a few weeks ago for her Cylap injection.

Then Im sure they wouldnt agree to spey her if they thought her too small or young.

Im sure she will have a check over before the aneasthetic too.

Back