• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Contradicting vets...

willowthewysp

Warren Scout
You try and do your best for your fur babies, but when they need long term veterinary treatment you end up getting contradictory advice!:?
I have just seen the vet again for Mo..but i had to see a different vet, and i was told the painkillers i was giving Mo were fine but the dosage was way too much!:( Also the previous vet has always told me not to put a dressing of any kind on her hocks, but this new vet has told me it would be a good idea to do this.....:?
Now, im just confused!!!

as far as I know, vets just do a couple of weeks on rabbits at vet school - just the bare essentials, and a good rabbit vet will have been to annual conferences etc. to update skills specifically for rabbits, so it's important to check if your vet has done this as a lot of them are mainly expert with cats/dogs/horses.

What pain relief are you using?

As I have said before my Rexes that have sore hocks benefit from an 'anti-pressure' dressing which takes direct pressure *off* the sore area

Janex

The pain relief is 'Metacam' and originally i was told to give Mo
30 kg daily. Now im told that i have to only give her 5kg once a day..thats it:shock: thats a huge difference!

This second vet also is sure she would benefit from anti pressure dressing, but the first vet was dead against it, saying it would do more harm than good...so im just not sure now!:?

The pain relief is 'Metacam' and originally i was told to give Mo
30 kg daily. Now im told that i have to only give her 5kg once a day..thats it:shock: thats a huge difference!

This second vet also is sure she would benefit from anti pressure dressing, but the first vet was dead against it, saying it would do more harm than good...so im just not sure now!:?

Errrrmmm I am confused now too :? :? were you told to give 30MG by the first Vet :?

Oral Metacam is a strength of 1.5mg/ml

The dose for oral Metacam is 0.1-0.2mg/kg daily

So 30mg or 30ml would be an enormous dose :? :shock:

Do you know the approximate weight of your Bunny?
My Giant, Libby, weighs about 7kg so she would need a dose of 0.7mg-1.4mg daily which is 0.47ml-0.94ml

I suspect that the 2nd Vet might have told you to give 0.5 *mililitres* a day which is 0.75mg

I think I would go with the advice of the second Vet if I were you and that includes using the anti-pressure dressings

Janex

Metacam usually comes with a syringe which have kg dosages on them which are very different from ml dosages. If you look on the syringe you will need to measure up to the 5kg mark.
The previous vet's dosage does strike me as being high but if you are worried then give your vet another call to put your mind at rest.

The metacam came with a syringe and the first vet told me to give Mo 30kg once a day.
The second vet actually told me to give her 12 drops which comes up to the 3rd line on the syringe 5kg...Im really worried now i have been over-dosing the poor little lamb!:cry:
I do not know the weight of her, she is big though, but i am due to take her back on friday so i will ask to get her wieghed then.
The second vet also let me bring home her injection anti-biotics for me to give her..:shock:
Also the second vet seemed more 'willing' to actually really look at her legs.

Back