• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flossy's Ec - no improvement

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
Flossy has a uveitis in her left eye caused by suspected EC (So my vet says) She is on her 4th course of Panacur (wih a few gaps between) - I have taken to using Lapizole as although very expensive I found it very difficult to get the panacur down :roll:
Her eye is getting worse, she is blind in the eye and it is now very red and bloodshot. Can Ec outlive a course of panacur? I am seeing no improvement at all and although she is fine in herself and behaving like normal what will happen if this continues to get worse?!
*She has had Maxitrol drops every other day too, my vet does not want to remover her eye*

Thank you!

Lucy x

Oh dear :? :cry:

My Murphy has an EC induced Uveitis. He had 2 months of Panacur, 1 month Baytril, 2 weeks Fucithalmic, 2 weeks Tiacil then Maxitrol.
His Uveitis is now controlled with one drop of Maxitrol every other day. He has been on this for about a year.

Could your Vet refer Flossy to an Opthalmologist :?

Janex

I can ask! This sounds stupid...but should he know of one (be able to direct me to one?)
When I said gaps between panacuring this was gaps between 28 day treatments. Is it worth trying a longer eg 6 week treatment?
The eye is tinging with white round the edge (like a cataract forming), she displays no other symptoms at present.
Also, is there any negative effects of prolonged worming treatments?
Thanks Jane!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can ask! This sounds stupid...but should he know of one (be able to direct me to one?)
When I said gaps between panacuring this was gaps between 28 day treatments. Is it worth trying a longer eg 6 week treatment?
The eye is tinging with white round the edge (like a cataract forming), she displays no other symptoms at present.
Also, is there any negative effects of prolonged worming treatments?
Thanks Jane!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Vet seems to think that a 28 day course of Panacur/Lapinzole is just not long enough. She usually prescribes a 6-8 week course and quite often a higher dose of 30mg/kg instaed of the usual 20mg/kg
I am not sure of any negative effects of the longterm use of Fenbendazole. I do know that there were some American reports of its use affecting the bone marrow :?

As for a referral I would suggest your Vet contact the Bristol Rabbit Clinic. They are likely to have up-to-date details of Opthalmologists

http://www.vetschool.bris.ac.uk/langford/cas/rabbitclinic/

Janex

Ok, Thank you for that I will contact him tomorrow. In the mean time where do you order your Panacur from, if I am to do a 6-8 week course I might persevere with Panacur and put up with Flossy's grumpy face :shock: . Can I order on-line and which site has the best value?

Thank you, as always :D

Oh Heck. I've just seen this thread. My Floss is also suffering with Uveitis at the moment, and the vet is trying very hard to get on top of the problem. Thinking of you.

Ok, Thank you for that I will contact him tomorrow. In the mean time where do you order your Panacur from, if I am to do a 6-8 week course I might persevere with Panacur and put up with Flossy's grumpy face :shock: . Can I order on-line and which site has the best value?

Thank you, as always :D

The Panacur 10% Liquid is the one I use. It is much more economical than the paste as the dose is 0.2-0.3ml/kg :)

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?ma...id=175&zenid=c46e1cb31691b7537ea3c91f0c79ea83

Janex

Back