• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long does it take for bunny scent to go away

hippo27

Young Bun
Slightly bizarre question but bear with me!
I have two house buns, a boy (castrated) and a girl (being spayed on Monday).
They currently live side by side in crates but are not let out together.
When Moggy has recovered from her op I obviously want to bond them together.
I understand this has to be done in neutral territory however currently they take it in turns to have the run of the house so there is no neutral territory!

If I start to make a no go zone upstairs for bunnies now would it be neutral enough in 2/3 weeks to try and bond, or do I need to clean in a particular way.
I have read about the vinegar, but I can't really douse the entire house in vinegar........... or can I:shock:

I have the same problem, my two are being bonded in my mums bedroom because its the only room they have never been in :shock: Bit difficult seeing as its my mums bedroom though and she sleeps in there :lol:

I think they remember where they have been. I put Trip and Scarlett into my bedroom the same day I introduced them just for a few minutes while I cleared a space in my brothers room and he had been living free range in there for a while before that, I did clean the room with vinegar but he still knew it was his and all it did was make the hosue stink :lol:

If you can use your Kitchen or bathroom they are good places to hold the bonding. Clean the room and the wipe over with a white vinegar and water mix. This is not only a great stain remover/cleaner but it kills odor. Especially rabbit wee and scent odor making the area "neutral" again. Bathroom and Kitchens are easier to use as bonding areas as they are easier to wipe clean and de-smell. Its a lot harder to get any rabbit scent out of furniture or carpet etc. Good luck xx

PS the white wine vinegar should be a cap ful and the rest water. Don't put too much of the vinegar in as your place will smell like a chippie! It must white wine vinegar too. Hope this helps.

Thanks for those tips they all help!
I think it will have to be the bathroom as thats the room they have been in the least!
If they bond it the bathroom will that do the job or will they fight when put back onto 'communal' areas?

They should be left in the neutral territory (bathroom) for at least 3 days, some say 7-10 days (I did 10!). In this time try and neutralise the other areas as much as possible. They may well squabble a little when they are moved into their normal living area as they have to re-establish their hierachy as it is new territory. It's best to do the initial bonding and the relocation after bonding as early in the day as you can to try and get things calmed down before bed time. This is when they are quite active plus the majority of my squabbles occured at night/very early morning.

good luck, I've just bonded my two, I had to clean the big huitch and run as both had access, I used bleech but watered down and rinced, let it air for a few days. and it was fine, my two are now bonded:wave:

Fab, nice to hear it can go well! I am slightly terrified as when we first had them they were so sweet together but obviously we found out they were diffirent flavours so had to seperate them!
Since seperating they have had some fights thru the bars of the crates but not for several weeks now so I'm hoping that they will be friends when they are bonded properly!

Back