• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits die from firework shock?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering if rabbits that get too frightened by fireworks can actually die from shock? I don't think mine are too bothered, they are just like, "What is that?" with ears up and alert faces with their eyes poping out. I was just wondering in case I have to worry.

It's more that they can go into GI stasis from shock, which can result in eventual death. I bought mine in last year, as they are so vulnerable, and Dusty was really scared.

Is there anything I can do to help them? I can't bring them indoors. It's the really loud bangs in the next few weeks that are worrying me. So far, the fireworks have been quite soft and quiet. I have a duvet cover over the hutch.

Covering up the hutch can help, and just spending more time with them. If they really don't seem bothered, I wouldn't worry too much. I think it's just a case of keeping a closer eye on them.

Thanks. I'll try and take a video of them with some fireworks so you can see what they are like. What do truely frigtened bunnies do?

Yes they can, I rehomed a doe last year and she died during a Thunderstorm because of shock form the Thunder :cry: so I would assume the same scenario could occur with fireworks.

Well, last year Dusty was cowering with her ears down, and Clover kept grooming her/looking after her (very cute). You'll know if they aren't behaving normally, I'm sure.

I'm really worried tonight about mine as it's our village's bonfire party at the pub. I've locked them in their hutch (they normally have access to their run 24/7) and covered them up and all I can do is hope they're ok. I'm hoping as they're both three years old (ish) that they have survived firework nights before so will be fine this time. Fingers crossed. I hate fireworks for many reasons but this is one.

I hope yours and everyone's rabbits are all right xx

Someone was setting them off last saturday night so i rushed out and brought them inside but they didn't seem fussed at all. Although we live near an RAF base so they are used to noise with the tornadoes flying all the time :roll:

i have given mine loads of things to entertain them.Got big cardboard boxes with hay in them, willow balls from p@h, veg in the boxes etc.They dont really seem to bother tho which is good although taylor hasn't experienced fireworks before.Hopefully with things to occupy them they will be fine

Hope everyone elses pets are ok tonight

ive read that fear/shock can kill a rabbit but that is probably one of the rabbit myths that arent quite true as Alvin dont seem to be scared of anything... even the hoover!!

Well I've just had to rush out and bring my foster girls in, they were completely terrified! They were rushing round the shed, and Bracken ended up cowering in the toy box I've adapted for them :cry:
And I'm not surprised, I'm not scared of thunder or fireworks etc but I was outside when the loudest ones went off and I'm still shaking!! :censored:

My own 2 were a bit nervous when I went out but I managed to get a radio on pretty fast and they calmed down straight away.

I getting to the point now where I think they should be banned altogether! :censored: :censored:

I will see how mine are doing. Penny and Snoopy were not bothered by last year's fireworks. Not sure how the other two will react.
There are already quite a few fireworks going off tonight. I wish people would stick to the actual date, and not have their fireworks whenever it is most convenient. In Germany people are allowed to have fireworks on the 31st of December, at around midnight, and that's it. Only some public displays are allowed on other days of the year. So at least people know when to bring in their pets.
I have heard that bunnies can die of shock, but am not sure how true it is. They can get shocked by seeing a fox and die, I read. Mine aren't bothered at all, when a fox walks through our garden. It all depends on the individual bunny. And if they could die of shock when they see a fox, how can they then tell the difference between a "bad" fox and a "good" dog, as both are predators. Only that wolves normally go for bigger prey. I think bunnies are tougher than we often think.

I'm really glad mine are indoor bunnies as, not only do we have the fireworks this year, but a dog nearby that barks constantly after every single firework. That alone would probably be enough to freak Dusty out, let alone the fireworks too.

My three were all fine last year, Buu was sat in her run looking about but wasnt frightened at all. I stayed in the garden with them and they were acting normal :D x

I'm worried too but I can't check on them till morning - I just think taking the tarpaulin off and shining a torch in might scare them as much if not more. It's really noisy here, loads of those horrid bangy fireworks... what happened to the pretty ones? :evil:

It's very noisy here at the mo, with those awful bangers going off every minute. I hate it when Guy Fawkes happens on a weekday as you get the fireworks at the weekends and on the night :censored: I've run out a few times after a loud bang to check on the boys but both times they have been sat there munching hay and look at me like I'm mad :lol: :lol: :lol:

I went out to see how the bunnies were when some quite loud ones were going off, and Milly was lying in the main area, completely chilled out and yawning. She had one ear cocked listening to the noise and the other flat and relaxed. Molly was in the bedroom but I could see her eating, so she looked pretty relaxed.

Back