• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating after spey U/D YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Rhia was speyed first thing y/day & has since eaten one mouthfull of spring greens. She seems happy, is poo'ing & is happy to move around. Should I be worried? Oh & just to say - I cant syringe feed her. Its literally impossible & i havent yet met even a vet who can do it. Soppy in every other way but go near her mouth & she freaks. Help please?! :)

Last edited:
Oh Becki is she still not eating... little madam. I had this problem with Lily. Can't think what to suggest... you tried baby food?

Nope still isnt interested at all, Have tried everything in my fridge...Will have a go with babyfood. Not too worried atm as shes doing really well in every other way but still, Need her to eat before I go to college xX

Dont know if you've tried it but fresh grass usually tempts mine if not eating well. Or any weeds really too :)

I had this when I had my late doe, Bonnie-Blossom and the vet suggested pineapple juice on a spoon, as it encourages appetite?! It worked for Bonnie, and she had a very hard time with her spey... was on painkillers for a week, poor thing... Hope your girly gets her appetite back soon:D

Will she eat her favourite treat? Banana, apple, grapes? If she eats a little bit more, maybe she'll get her appetite back?

Thanks folks, Will try pineapple juice :) Already tried all her favourite foods & she isnt interested. Will keep trying...

Hello,

When molly came home from his previous operation, he completely lost his appetite which is unusual as hes a bit of a pig when it comes to food. I found by putting lots of different herbs under his nose tempted him by all the different smells. I also mushed up his pellets in warm water and added grated carrot which worked also. Maybe mushing her pellets and adding mashed banana?

Molly has just gone for an operation on his abscess this morning so im expecting him to be off his food when he comes back so i'm preparing everything I can find!

Hope she picks up her appetite soon xx

Becki, Have you tried soaking the pellets with water? I did this for Flip and put them on a spoon, held it near her mouth and she ate them off the spoon.

She also loved grated carrot and grated apple.

Thanks everyone, Will try all the things you've suggested that i havent yet tried :) Have to go to college soon & she still isnt eating, Going to get my grandad to come & check her a few times. She should be alright as Im only going to be gone 3ish hours Xx

Hi, I've had a couple awkward about eating after a spey. Generally mine would go for quite strong tasting and smelling things like various herbs, rosemary, mint etc.
Don't know if that helps? Hope she gets eating properly soon x x x

Sorry to hear shes not eaten yet. Have you tried syringe feeding her science recovery? I would probably call the vets if she still hasn't eaten anything because her guts can shut down, did you try mashed banana? Has she eaten any hay or grass? maybe try putting lots of hay under her nose, if not call the vet see what they say.

hope she eats soon xx

No hay, no grass...Nothing :cry: Going to call the vets now, As her poos are getting fewer and are really small Xxx

Hope she starts eating soon. Has she had a good drink? Jess refused all food following her spay until I held the water bowl to her, she immediately started eating carrot, and then she was fine. Eating vibes on there way! :)

Back